High on Hockey Keeper League - Part 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trade is officially complete!

Brock Lesnars trade Roman Josi to Lind Lightning and trade Mark Scheifele to Panarin Bread.

Lind Lightning trade Jeff Skinner to Brock Lesnars and trade Evgeni Malkin, Nick Leddy, and JOSH 7th Round pick to Panarin Bread.

Panarin Bread trade Artemi Panarin to Brock Lesnars and trade Drew Doughty, Jeff Carter, and OSS 5th Round pick to Lind Lightning.

Comment

• Confirmed.

Also: Panarin Bread trades Mitch Marner and NAIL 9th round pick to Aussie Stars for AUS 6th round pick.

Comment

• Confirm that too

Comment

• More exciting than the draft!

Comment

• That one took some doing. Props to Josh for orchestrating this behemoth. We've been in talks for a while, but nothing was going anywhere, but he knew what I was trying to do, and he put it together.

I couldn't be happier with the result. Everyone knows I've been trying to trim a center since last year's draft. For me this trade wasn't motivated by getting better players, it was about getting players suited to the model of team I want to build.

I love Scheifele, but his faceoffs are only OK an he doesn't shoot enough. I might regret moving him though, because with wings like Wheeler, Laine, Ehler and Connor, he could just get even better. I needed to move a center though, and I like Trocheck's versatility. And with Josi, with Subban there now, and the development of Ellis and Ekholm, Josi doesn't need to be the 27 minute 60 point defenseman that he was anymore.

Skinner, believe it or not, is still just 25. He's had some ups and downs but remember how Joe Sakic's early career was plagued by injuries, but he eventually got healthy and won a Hart Trophy. Bergeron too, but he won four Selkes. Maybe Skinner isn't Sakic or Bergeron, but he did have 63 points as an 18 year old rookie, and now with Aho, Lindholm, Stempniak, Rask, Terravainen, he's got a pretty solid supporting cast. Skinner has 16 goals and 68 shots in the last 17 games.

I don't think Panarin will be as dumbstruck without Kane as people seem to think. He just put up 17 points in 9 games at the World Championships. Wennberg is ready for a big breakout, and Panarin will help make that happen. I get this weird impression that people think Torts will stifle players' offense, but uhhh, Marty St. Louis won an Art Ross under him, Lecavalier won a Richard, and Gaborik had two of his three best seasons under Torts in New York, posting seasons of 86 and 76. If this trio of Panarin, Wenneberg, Atkinson is nearly as dynamic as I think they might be next year, Torts is gonna let them ride. And with kids like Dubois, Bjorkstrand and Milano coming up, he's gonna be surrounded with high-end talent. Panrin also showed a penchant for shooting when he wants to, with 55 in the last 15 game. Oh, and he's only played two seasons so still has room to grow.

My keepers now, and my expectations if everything goes according to plan
            Matthews - 45 goals, 85 points, 500 FOW and 300 shots
            Skinner - 40 goals, 70 points and 300 shots
            Panarain - 80 points and 240 shots
            Trocheck - 65 points, 800 FOW 230 shots 150 hits
            Pastrnak - expecting 75 points and 300 shots
            Byfuglien - 50 points, 250 shots, 200 hits, 130 blocks
            Gibson - 40 wins, 2.25, .930

Comment

• I don't have a write up like that...but I got Scheifele and Malkin in this deal. Crazy. And immediately flipped Marner for a pick to allow my keepers to be:

McDavid
              Eichel
              Malkin
              Scheifele
              Subban
              Leddy
              Price

yeah...that center group is crazy.

It allows me to finally shift by drafting focus in September so I can actually have a good goalie tandem for the entire season rather than three months and then rely on Price alone. Although I will need wingers though.

Comment

• I'd consider moving one of my wingers, Panarin, Skinner, or Pastrnak, for a versatile center or defenseman, or straight up for a pick.

Also if anyone is interested in Johansen, I could move him for a pick.

Comment

• This has been a long time in the making for me. This started when I traded Bergeron to Choi for Malkin and Weber. I never intended to keep Malkin. I actually started gauging the interest in him - and my ability to flip him - before I even finalized that deal. So that move was always Bergeron for Weber and the value I could get for Malkin. In this blockbuster, Malkin was the necessary piece for me to land Doughty. So I traded Patrice Bergeron for Shea Weber and Drew Doughty.

Breaking this most recent deal down, I essentially sent Malkin, Leddy, and a 7th to Mike for Doughty, Carter, and a 5th. Then I swapped Skinner for Josi. I traded away only players I never considered keeping, and all players I have ranked lower than other players I expect to be available to me during the draft - which is now an even better draft for me after swapping a 7th for a 5th.

I expected Doughty and Josi to be kept by Mike and Kevin and never even made available. Carter was a bit of a quandary; I had him as an early target in the draft and may have preferred to snag him there and keep another player from my current roster, but knowing Mike was shopping him, and Mike wanting the three players he got but also wanting to send an equal amount of players away, greatly increased the incentive to trade for and keep him now. I did have Trochek as a higher draft target, but knew from my discussions with Kevin that he wasn't going to be available. I did also need Carter's stability and versatility, as the injury to Kesler means he's going to miss a month or two. Carter has missed only 15 games over the last 5 seasons, scored 60 points for 3 consecutive seasons, and averaged 28 goals per season over those same 3 seasons. He might not end up being a keeper next season, but he hasn't shown signs of slowing down yet and I think he's a solid bet going in to this next one.

OUT:
                  7th
                  Bergeron
                  Leddy
                  Skinner

IN:
                  5th
                  Carter
                  Doughty
                  Josi
                  Weber

Last year's keepers:
                  Crawford
                  Giordano
                  Holtby
                  Kesler
                  Ladd
                  Niskanen
                  Wheeler

This year's keepers:
                  Carter
                  Doughty
                  Josi
                  Kesler
                  Pavelski
                  Pietrangelo
                  Weber

3C and 4D. That's 3 of my 7 top-ranked centres and 4 of my 9 top-ranked defensemen (for this league). I think that by the end of the draft, I will have 4 of my 10 top-ranked centres and 6 of my 11 top-ranked defensemen. Doughty-Josi-Pietrangelo-Weber is ridiculous. So is Kesler and Pavelski on the same team. I now finish the draft in the 6th round - halfway through. I will make 25% of the picks in the first half of the draft.

Oh, and I was pretty surprised when I found that among Nashville's top-four, Josi is actually the second youngest:

Subban - May 13, 1989
                  Ekholm - May 24, 1990
                  Josi - Jun 1, 1990
                  Ellis - Jan 3, 1991

Comment

• Ayyy update that OP we need this documented for life.

Comment

• Is there anyone out there who is willing to trade draft picks to me in exchange for my players. I'm yet to make up my mind on most of my keeper slots. I will consider reasonable offers for anyone on my team IF the return includes an improvement in draft position.

Comment

• I have to rename my team now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          The trade is officially complete!

Brock Lesnars trade Roman Josi to Lind Lightning and trade Mark Scheifele to Panarin Bread.

Lind Lightning trade Jeff Skinner to Brock Lesnars and trade Evgeni Malkin, Nick Leddy, and JOSH 7th Round pick to Panarin Bread.

Panarin Bread trade Artemi Panarin to Brock Lesnars and trade Drew Doughty, Jeff Carter, and OSS 5th Round pick to Lind Lightning.
                          I did not foresee a scenario where Kevin moved Scheifle but yeah Panarin is a pretty significant acquisition.

Comment

• can we see the updated keepers list from ESPN, Josh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
                              can we see the updated keepers list from ESPN, Josh?
                              Here it is right now:
                              LIND LIGHTNING
                              PLAYER POS
                              Ryan Kesler*, Ana C
                              Alex Pietrangelo, StL D
                              Joe Pavelski, SJ C
                              Shea Weber, Mon D
                              Roman Josi, Nsh D
                              Jeff Carter, LA RW
                              Drew Doughty, LA D
                              QUEBEC NORDIQUES
                              PLAYER POS
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              AUSSIE STARS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              OTTAWA SILVER SEVEN
                              PLAYER POS
                              Patrick Kane, Chi RW
                              Sidney Crosby, Pit C
                              Vladimir Tarasenko, StL RW
                              John Tavares*, NYI C
                              Steven Stamkos*, TB C
                              Rasmus Ristolainen, Buf D
                              Devan Dubnyk, Min G
                              SEOUL SPARTANS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Jamie Benn, Dal LW
                              Erik Karlsson*, Ott D
                              Alex Ovechkin*, Wsh RW
                              Ryan O'Reilly, Buf RW
                              Martin Jones, SJ G
                              Braden Holtby, Wsh G
                              Patrice Bergeron*, Bos C
                              WHEELING NAILERS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              PANARIN BREAD
                              PLAYER POS
                              Carey Price, Mon G
                              Connor McDavid, Edm C
                              P.K. Subban, Nsh D
                              Jack Eichel, Buf C
                              Mark Scheifele, Wpg C
                              Nick Leddy, NYI D
                              Evgeni Malkin, Pit C
                              BROCK LESNARS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Dustin Byfuglien, Wpg D
                              John Gibson, Ana G
                              Auston Matthews, Tor C
                              David Pastrnak, Bos LW
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              HADES FILTH HOUNDS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Brent Burns, SJ D
                              Jonathan Huberdeau, Fla LW
                              Logan Couture*, SJ C
                              Aleksander Barkov*, Fla C
                              Aaron Ekblad*, Fla D
                              Mark Stone*, Ott RW
                              Tomas Hertl*, SJ LW
                              TORONTO POLAR BEARS
                              PLAYER POS
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected
                              Not Selected

Comment

• All we need is Matt's list. (I know Brian's).

Comment

Working...
                                X