2018 NHL Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
    Bruins - Leafs game seven was pretty entertaining. I was super impressed with Debrusk who had a break out series with five goals. It was also fitting to see the Leafs blow another third period lead in Game 7.

I gotta say, though, Iím a little disappointed in Matthews. He didnít look all that great the entire series with one goal and two points. He had some okay looks, but he didnít really stand out. I also was surprised with his post-game interview - he kind of just shakes off any criticism to bad luck. Itís the playoffs, youíve got to own it.
    Both Matthews and Nylander were passengers that whole series. I think I remember 1-2 chances for each of them in 7 total games.

A lot of people ragging on Andersen but that was just a terrible terrible game for Jake Gardiner. Also, how does Babcock justify giving Gardiner over 24 minutes while playing that way?

Comment

Man, Jake Guentzel is crazy good in the playoffs.

Comment

2-0 Knights, 5 minutes in. Here's a stream:

http://www.nhlstream.io/569052/3/qua...am-online.html

Comment

3-0 after 6 minutes..

Comment

5-3 PP for Vegas..

Comment

Annnnnnd it's 4-0 Vegas..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post

Both Matthews and Nylander were passengers that whole series. I think I remember 1-2 chances for each of them in 7 total games.

A lot of people ragging on Andersen but that was just a terrible terrible game for Jake Gardiner. Also, how does Babcock justify giving Gardiner over 24 minutes while playing that way?
                I actually have seen a ton of criticism for Gardiner since the game ended. He was really bad on Boston's second and sixth goal. The fifth one, I don't really blame him as he was dealing with a ton of speed and he limited the scoring chance (Andersen let in a really weak goal). I didn't mention him because 1) I thought it was obvious he was bad (plus everyone is going after him), and 2) he owned up to it afterwards.

It is a little odd he was playing 24 minutes in a game he was struggling, but I guess it kind of makes sense: look at that blue line. The only two that can really move the puck are Gardiner and Rielly. Plus, Rielly was injured for half of a period, so Gardiner's TOI probably went up 1:30-2 minutes.

Plus, coaches make weird decisions all of the time. I think every single Ottawa coach after Bryan Murray has done absolutely odd player usage. When you watch around the league, you see that every single coach does it. I guess that's why they're paid the big bucks, they clearly see something that we don't.

Andersen was extremely inconsistent the entire series. He won the Leafs a game or two, but even during his 'on' games .. I think he let in a soft goal every game. He finished the series with a .896SV%.

Comment

Gardiner ended that game -5. As you say, he pretty well gifted at least 3 goals (2, 5 and 6) to Boston. I'm sorry, but as bad as Freddie was with the shot, there's no excuse for Gardiner's play:

- Gets crossed up at the blue line
                  - Actually does well to skate hard and pressure Debrusk
                  - Then decides "the puck isn't important in a tie game 1 on 1" and lifts his stick away to instead go for a body check.

Even if he has his stick out, gets a piece of that shot, he has a really good chance of preventing that goal. Hell, if Debrusk has a stick across him he probably doesn't take the shot at all and tries to skate around. Gives other teammates time to collapse the net.

Overall I will say Andersen in the series was not fantastic. He probably still should have had that one and a few others in different games. It really baffled me how Don Cherry kept saying he was Vezina-quality.

Also though, how about Vegas? They absolutely demolished San Jose in the first period last night. 3 goals before the first ad break!

Comment

Hertl just scored a huge goal to tie game 3 with less than 2 minutes left.

Comment

I only caught OT of the game last night but it was awesome.

I watched the Jets - Predators today and what a game. The Predators are still going to be tough to get by, but if the Jets do, they could go all the way. So many talented pieces on that team.

Comment

For the first time in their four matchups, the Capitals will have a chance to eliminate the Penguins in Game 6. Could this be the year it finally happens?

Comment

And the Jets with a convincing 6-2 in Nashville. They'll have a chance to move on to the WCF in Game 6.

Comment

Capitals finally did it. Beat the Penguins and are off to the ECF

Comment

Awesome. It would have been cool to see a three-peat, but I'm glad the Caps finally took them down. With that monkey off their back, anything is possible.

Tampa Bay vs Washington
                              Las Vegas vs Nashville/Winnipeg

Comment

Nashville/Winnipeg heading to Nashville for game 7 after a 4-0 loss at home last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X