X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jasmine
    Hall of Fame Member
    • Sep 2013

Kopitar inks 8 year deal

According to Dregger: Kopitar year by year: $14 mil, $13 mil, $12 mil, $11mil, $8mil, $8mil,$7mil,$7 mil. No move clause immediately and first 4 yrs.

The Los Angeles Kings confirmed on Saturday an eight-year extension for Anze Kopitar. The deal is worth $80 million dollars.
  • Josh
    Legendary Owner
    • Sep 2013

Holy shit.. $10M cap hit. The type of player Kopitar is.. this one will look bad in a few years I think.

Comment

• Dean Ambrose
      Hall of Fame Member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Josh
      Holy shit.. $10M cap hit. The type of player Kopitar is.. this one will look bad in a few years I think.
      But they'll win another cup or two before that, so... *shrug*

Let him walk and lose your number one center, and one of the best in the league, or keep him and worry about the now rather than the future cap implications?

Comment

• Alfie11
        Hall of Fame Member
        • Sep 2013

Although the Kings really couldn't let a guy like Kopitar walk, $10M per year with max term is definitely too much for him. These type of deals are bigger for the NHL than we even expect, though. It sets precedents; imagine when some of the top players such as Stamkos hit free agency..

Comment

• Dean Ambrose
          Hall of Fame Member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alfie11
          Although the Kings really couldn't let a guy like Kopitar walk, $10M per year with max term is definitely too much for him. These type of deals are bigger for the NHL than we even expect, though. It sets precedents; imagine when some of the top players such as Stamkos hit free agency..
          read your PMs foooo

Comment

• Josh
            Legendary Owner
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alfie11
            It could be as soon as this year..! :laugh:

He's gonna get paaaaaaaaaaid.

Comment

• Matt the Aussie
              Hall of Fame Member
              • Sep 2013

While I agree $10M is excessive, who are you going to replace Kopitar with on that team? I like Jeff Carter and co. just as much as the next guy but that's a wide stretch. Guys with Kopitar level skill don't grow on trees.

Comment

• Josh
                Legendary Owner
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie
                While I agree $10M is excessive, who are you going to replace Kopitar with on that team? I like Jeff Carter and co. just as much as the next guy but that's a wide stretch. Guys with Kopitar level skill don't grow on trees.
                I guess so. And he has been very consistent, and is only 28, so it doesn't seem like there's much risk of a huge regression. He plays a tough game though, but then again, IR rules protect a team from cap hits.

Comment

• Josh
                  Legendary Owner
                  • Sep 2013

The real issue is if he sustains injuries that don't keep him out entirely, but drastically reduce the quality of his play. Then they're on the hook for a$10M difficult-to-trade contract in what looks like a difficult market economically (Canadian dollar and league revenue).

But I suppose you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want big, rough and tumble C with skill, you have to pay him and you have to expect he might get injured. It could happen to Ovie too.

Comment

Working...