Clear All

• Re: General Hockey Chat

Think Bernier get shipped this summer?

Comment

If they trade him they're stupid.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the jury's out on the whole is-toronto-stupid case. The question is HOW stupid.

Comment

Who have they got to replace him? I think that answers the question...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie
            Reimer, who they seem to have no faith in.

Bernier's still young. Can he be a top-tier goalie in the league? No, but he can still be a good starting goaltender in the league if he had a better team in front of him.

Comment

I can't see Bernier ever leading a team to the Cup. He lets in way too many weak goals and seems to have more bad games than good games. I'd trade him and eventually pick up a solid FA goalie over the next three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie11
                I can't see Bernier ever leading a team to the Cup. He lets in way too many weak goals and seems to have more bad games than good games. I'd trade him and eventually pick up a solid FA goalie over the next three years.
                I also never thought Niemi would win a Cup.

Not saying the Leafs will ever be as good as the Hawks, but it can be done. Hell, Leighton even made the finals that year.

Comment

Bernier already has a ring and his name on the cup, but I realize that isn't the point. He certainly didn't lead them there; it was all Quick. Anyways, he's still only 26 but I'm not defending him anymore than that. Not after that Mandela thing..

Comment

Yeah, any goalie can get hot and win the Cup. Or if they have a good team in front of them they can scrape by with an average goalie. It's certainly not easy to get the right team to win with an average goalie, though. Keith/Seabrook/Toews, Pronger/Richards. Even the Kings have Doughty/Kopitar with a good goalie in Quick.

Bernier reminds me a lot of Lehner, though. He can make some nice saves. He can win you a game. But the team ends up having zero confidence in you because you let in way too many bad goals. You look at Montreal with Price (or even Hammond in the games he's played in Ottawa), the teams have confidence in their goalies and can focus on their own game. Matt summed it up great in a different thread.

Comment

[quote=Dean Ambrose]
                      Originally posted by "Matt the Aussie":1umswys9
                      Reimer, who they seem to have no faith in.

Bernier's still young. Can he be a top-tier goalie in the league? No, but he can still be a good starting goaltender in the league if he had a better team in front of him.[/quote:1umswys9]

I don't disagree with this point at all. I think he can be a 'good' (not great) starting goalie if he reaches his potential (a pretty big 'if'). He's probably just as likely to top out as a completely average goalie, though. And he could not improve from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie11
                        Yeah, any goalie can get hot and win the Cup. Or if they have a good team in front of them they can scrape by with an average goalie. It's certainly not easy to get the right team to win with an average goalie, though. Keith/Seabrook/Toews, Pronger/Richards. Even the Kings have Doughty/Kopitar with a good goalie in Quick.

Bernier reminds me a lot of Lehner, though. He can make some nice saves. He can win you a game. But the team ends up having zero confidence in you because you let in way too many bad goals. You look at Montreal with Price (or even Hammond in the games he's played in Ottawa), the teams have confidence in their goalies and can focus on their own game. Matt summed it up great in a different thread.
                        Montreal's entire game is Price.

That system Therrien talks about? All Price.

but yeah, either a really good team can get by with an average goalie (Hawks/Niemi, Flyers/Leighton), or an elite goaltender can carry an average team (Price carrying the Habs).

Comment

To be fair though, when have we last seen an elite goaltender take an average team all the way though? MAYBE the 02-03 Devils could be considered average, but they still had Niedermayer, Rafalski, Stevens, and Tverdovsky on D as well as Elias, Gionta, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Nieuwendyk, and Pandolfo, up front.

Comment

NYR @ Bruins this afternoon. Lundqvist returns.

Halfway through 1st, its 2-0 Bs....

Comment

10 seconds into 2nd period, Rask has issues...not sure what's going on but he is heading to the locker room and Svedberg is jumping in.

3-0 at the end of the 1st. Lucic has two, Soderberg the other one.

Comment

4-0 ...

Comment

Working...
                                X