No announcement yet.

General Hockey Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really confused about Tampa. They sent Filppula, a 4th, and a 7th to Philly for Streit. Then they traded him to Pittsburgh for a 4th.

So they paid a 7th to unload Filppula instead of just leaving him exposed. Not sure if he's a free agent next season, but if so they could have just let him walk.

Really strange.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
      I'm really confused about Tampa. They sent Filppula, a 4th, and a 7th to Philly for Streit. Then they traded him to Pittsburgh for a 4th.

So they paid a 7th to unload Filppula instead of just leaving him exposed. Not sure if he's a free agent next season, but if so they could have just let him walk.

Really strange.
      No movement clause. They would have had to protect him, plus he has an extra year on his deal. Their cap situation is better now. Not great, but better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Ambrose

No movement clause. They would have had to protect him, plus he has an extra year on his deal. Their cap situation is better now. Not great, but better.
        So he waived it twice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post

So he waived it twice?
          No, Filppula waived it once for Philly.

Streit is the one who got flipped twice. He had a NTC and Tampa and Pittsburgh were on his list. I'm sure he knew he wouldn't stay in Tampa and it was just a cap move for Tampa.

Comment

• On another note, PIT killed it on their D depth which they desperately needed help on with Streit and Corrado being acquired.

Also, fuck Bergevin. What the fuck is this -

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
            Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
            Byron - Plekanec - Shaw
            King - Mitchell - Martinsen
            Flynn - Ott - McCarron

fucking grinder city

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Ambrose

No, Filppula waived it once for Philly.

Streit is the one who got flipped twice. He had a NTC and Tampa and Pittsburgh were on his list. I'm sure he knew he wouldn't stay in Tampa and it was just a cap move for Tampa.
              Right, my bad, lol.

Comment

• Had a really cool experience tonight. I'm in Waterloo for a conference, staying at the Delta. I went swimming for an hour and then afterward went and sat in the hot tub. The only other guy in there was some old guy. We struck up a conversation and turns out he's an NHL scout in town to watch London-Kitchener tonight.

Not just any scout though, he's a team's director of amateur scouting. We talked for a solid hour and I learned so much. He was really open and honest about everything I asked and had some really fun stories. I promised him I wouldn't divulge anything he told me, so before I talk about it more I have to decide either to talk about what he told me but keep who he is anonymous, or tell you guys who he was but not divulge any information.

Anyway, I gotta get to bed for now so I'll be able to wake up early and finish preparing for my talk tomorrow. That was just such a cool fortuitous incident I had to come mention it.
                Last edited by matchesmalone; 03-04-2017, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
                  Had a really cool experience tonight. I'm in Waterloo for a conference, staying at the Delta. I went swimming for an hour and then afterward went and sat in the hot tub. The only other guy in there was some old guy. We struck up a conversation and turns out he's an NHL scout in town to watch London-Kitchener tonight.

Not just any scout though, he's a team's director of amateur scouting. We talked for a solid hour and I learned so much. He was really open and honest about everything I asked and had some really fun stories. I promised him I wouldn't divulge anything he told me, so before I talk about it more I have to decide either to talk about what he told me but keep who he is anonymous, or tell you guys who he was but not divulge any information.

Anyway, I gotta get to bed for now so I'll be able to wake up early and finish preparing for my talk tomorrow. That was just such a cool fortuitous incident I had to come mention it.
                  That is awesome. I would definitely much rather hear what he told you than know who he is. However, I can understand that telling the stories may allow us to figure out who it might be..

Comment

• Yeah exactly. It would be relatively easy to figure out. I'll just say who it was and use discretion in deciding what would be appropriate to repeat here.

He's a current co-director of amateur scouting for the Florida Panthers. Formerly scouted for the Buffalo Sabres, and before that was with the Islanders organization in a lower management role; minor league coordinator or something like that. Apparently in 2013, he preferred Draisaitl to Reinhart, but he was the outlier, and now has some regrets not pushing harder for his guy, although he recognizes it may not have made a difference anyway.

I asked about Colin White, and he had extremely positive things to say, but the very first thing was "what a stud that kid is!" Nothing surprising though, praised his defensive game, character, leadership.

He was really stoked about Borgstrom. You could tell he relished in going off the board like that. Not exactly "his" pick I guess, since he's not Europe-centered, but he's really high on the kid. Thinks he has elite upside.

I asked about Tim Murray... That's one I shouldn't say much on. He had good things and bad to say about Tim; I'll leave out the bad. Said he learned a lot from him though. Said Murray is not big on analytics, and it was quite a difference moving to Florida, as they're a heavily analytics team. Also a huge difference going from Reghier to Murray as GM in Buffalo - polar opposites. Reghier was the slow-moving, less is more, build through draft and development approach. Murray is determined, he knows what he wants and gets it done, and he always has moves planned out 3 or 4 in advance and every different possible scenario after the first move; he's like a chess player.

More later.

Comment

• That's really cool. And hey, if you're in KW sometime again you should drop me a line and say hi :)

Comment

• Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
                        Yeah exactly. It would be relatively easy to figure out. I'll just say who it was and use discretion in deciding what would be appropriate to repeat here.

He's a current co-director of amateur scouting for the Florida Panthers. Formerly scouted for the Buffalo Sabres, and before that was with the Islanders organization in a lower management role; minor league coordinator or something like that. Apparently in 2013, he preferred Draisaitl to Reinhart, but he was the outlier, and now has some regrets not pushing harder for his guy, although he recognizes it may not have made a difference anyway.

I asked about Colin White, and he had extremely positive things to say, but the very first thing was "what a stud that kid is!" Nothing surprising though, praised his defensive game, character, leadership.

He was really stoked about Borgstrom. You could tell he relished in going off the board like that. Not exactly "his" pick I guess, since he's not Europe-centered, but he's really high on the kid. Thinks he has elite upside.

I asked about Tim Murray... That's one I shouldn't say much on. He had good things and bad to say about Tim; I'll leave out the bad. Said he learned a lot from him though. Said Murray is not big on analytics, and it was quite a difference moving to Florida, as they're a heavily analytics team. Also a huge difference going from Reghier to Murray as GM in Buffalo - polar opposites. Reghier was the slow-moving, less is more, build through draft and development approach. Murray is determined, he knows what he wants and gets it done, and he always has moves planned out 3 or 4 in advance and every different possible scenario after the first move; he's like a chess player.

More later.
                        Please more. And damn do I ever wish I could hear the bad about Tim..

Comment

• Comment

• Interesting page to follow on twitter: @CapFriendly

Comment

• TRIVIA:

Of all players to have played 1000+ games, which was the most recently drafted?

Comment

• That took me a minute to figure out. The most games players drafted in 04 or 05 could have played would be 950. And the only player from the 03 draft to have played 1000 games was Eric Staal.

Comment

Working...
                                X