Music

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britney Spears - Work Bitch

Comment

Getting ready for tonight's Lightning game and cranking up this shit.

AC/DC- Thunderstruck

Comment

Let It Ride - Big Sugar (BTO cover)

https://youtu.be/laz6kGaUM6E

Comment

Rihanna- Bitch Better Have My Money

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. So glad I am off work till next Monday so I will be enjoying Family, Food, Wine, and Hockey. This song will get me in the spirit.

Adam Sandler- The Thanksgiving Song

Comment

Tove Lo- Talking Body

Comment

Listening to NHL Tonight on the NHL Network.

Comment

Acting like a goof and trying to dance to LoveGame by Lady Gaga. Ha

Comment

A little Christmas Music. This shit is great. It is really not AC/DC

AC/DC- Jingle Hells Bells

Comment

Comeback Kid released a new single I hadn't heard until now. They've still got it!

Somewhere, Somehow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-Ev5RYUy8

Comment

Lately I've been listening to a ton of Nick Cave. Also been getting back into a bit more metal lately. Mostly 80s stuff, but some newer stuff as well. Besides that, some pop music and gangster rap.

Comment

https://m.soundcloud.com/buck65/ode-to-levon

For any fans of The Band.

Comment

I dunno if people really listen to Eminem anymore, certainly doesn't seem to be in vogue, although he saw a flash of spotlight with the MGK beef. I've been working on this for quite some time now, going back and brushing up on his early works and getting in multiple listens to his newer stuff that I hadn't listened to much before. Eminem's solo albums from best to worst:

1. The Eminem Show - I seem to be the black sheep here, as almost everyone I talk to says Marshall Mathers LP, that by Eminem Show he had already got away from his roots and gone too pop. But to me it was the perfect blend of pop appeal with lyrical and poetic mastery. Just track after track of some of the catchiest crossover rap hooks in the genre, accompanied by a lot of both clever and meaningful lyrics. I often forget that Dre didn't executive produce this one. I find it really cool that Dre worked closely with Eminem over the first two albums to develop a very unique, distinctive sound, teaching him the ropes of beatmaking through the process, so that with ES, Eminem takes everything he learnt and that style they developed, and really owns it and makes it distinctly his.

As an aside, I know for myself, looking back at my progression writing raps over the years, in my earliest stuff (I started writing in earnest in 2005) I see this nerdy high school kid into an bright young university student eager to show off how clever I was - dictionary and thesaurus always ready to hand - some of the wordplay, the multisyllabic rhymes, and use of poetic device was pretty incredible, but my flow was absolutely terrible. Over the years my flow and overall rhyme schemes have improved immensely, but I've lost a lot of that wit, and really just the attention span to take the time to come up with some of the six or seven syllable rhymes I once did, or the long strings of sibilance, etc. But there was this period around 2012-2014, where the wit hadn't much started to decline yet, and the flow was starting to peak, and the convergence of those things made for most of the best songs I've ever written. This is what Eminem Show represents to me - he was still in his lyrical prime, but he was also just hitting his prime in terms of polish and pop appeal.

2. Marshall Mathers LP - Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. He had clearly come a long way in his vocal development from SSLP, but it still had that raw anger and emotion, and realness that started to fade somewhat with ES and was essentially non-existent in his next two albums. The production was off the charts, with a much more collaborative effort between he and Dre than in SSLP, where they found a synthesis between the style Eminem wanted to present, and something that just sounded dope as fuck, as Dre wanted to present.

3. Recovery - By Relapse, it had become clear that he had become complacent and lost his drive, and just lost himself and his vision in general. Makes sense, all he ever wanted coming up was just to make it as a rapper, maybe to be an all-time great was a pipe dream. Now that he'd achieved that by Encore, where do you go from there? But now people were noticing and saying he was falling off, and his back was against a wall, so the hunger came back.

The structure of this album was very weird, as usually you try to lead off with some of your best songs. I like the analogy with baseball here - you're trying to load the bases with your first three batters, and your home run hitter comes in at the 4th spot. But with this album the two worst songs come on the first five tracks, in White Trash Party and On Fire, and the rest of the opening six are only good, but not great. Then Not Afraid doesn't come until track seven. I suppose the reason for this structure was he wanted to set the tone with songs like Going Through Changes and Talking to Myself where he explains what he's been going through and that he recognizes he fell off and why, and that he believes he is back to form.

And then he proves it, the floodgates open after Not Afraid, and there's this ridiculous run of pure genius that rivals anything from his first three albums - Seduction, Spacebound, 25 to Life, Cinderella Man, So Bad - just absolute fire. Perhaps the most brilliant string of rap tracks since Sweatshop Union's Natural Progression. I'm trying to think of similar phenomena in hip hop albums and not much comes to me.

4. Slim Shady LP - Some of the rawest pure emotional intensity hip hop saw since Tupac, and the most original, creative content since KMD, Outkast or Dr. Octagon. This album shook up the rap game for good. That said, hip hop was already starting to crossover, and although Eminem would soon become the leading figure in that movement, there isn't a ton of pop appeal to this one. The production sounds closer to NWA Dre than Chronic or 2001 Dre, and it is clearly a brand new artist trying to find his own sound after accusations of biting his style from Nas and the New York scene with Infinite. Also, I had a friend who simply refused to even give this album a chance because his voice was so wack.

But overall the positives far outweigh the negatives, and tracks like '97 Bonnie and Clyde, Guilty Conscience, Rock Bottom, and Just Don't Give a Fuck are true masterpieces and classics of the genre, not to mention a bunch of other great tracks.

5. Marshall Mathers LP 2 - I'm a bit torn on this one. Over the course of making this list I've flip-flopped a lot, having this as low as eight and as high as five. Ultimately decided to go to the higher end. The problem is it is so damn inconsistent. The top four albums on this list have, at most, maybe two outright bad tracks, I'm talking tracks that I would ordinarily tend to skip when I'm playing the album. This one has a handful. But then there are also a few of those songs that make you stop and go "ok, holy shit, yeah this is the Eminem I know and love". Rap God was maybe one of the best mainstream raps of the past decade. Headlights, So Far..., and Stronger Than I Was were the other highlights of this one for me.

And then of course there was the sequel to Stan, Bad Guy. Conceptually and lyrically that track was excellent, but it needed a catchy hook. That song was kind of the crux of the whole album, and I've heard rumors that there was talks to get Dido back for the hook that fell through. But if not Dido, maybe Elton John, or anyone for crying out loud. Most people only half-listen to the lyrics, and a lot of people didn't get it, and a lot more just couldn't get into it because the hook was wack, which kinda puts the conceptual and lyrical brilliance to waste.

6. Encore - Stylistically this was a great album. It still had all of the pop appeal of ES, but the emotional intensity wasn't there anymore. There were a few good hits in Mockingbird, Toy Soldiers, Encore and Mosh, but there were some bad ones too. As one of the main radio singles, Just Lose It was garbage. Ass Like That and Big Weenie were stupid. My First Single and Rain Man were cool, but also kinda stupid. I do have to say though, despite mediocre raps on Puke and Spend Some Time, those were seriously dope hooks. For everyone who completely forgot about Spend Some Time, go listen to that fucking hook. Goddamn. And I actually quite liked Eminem's verse, even if the features sucked.

7. Kamikaze - That raw emotion I mentioned that came back in Recovery with his back to the wall came back again here, but it was poorly harnessed and directed, except for a couple songs. Lucky You and Stepping Stones were pretty sick, but those were the closest things to great songs on the album, and neither crossed the threshold. The title track did what it was supposed to, dissing people, stirring up shit, drawing some attention, but once you draw that attention to the album, the rest of the album just needed to be better.

I liked the raw energy and lack of polish, as if he was just trying to say "fuck pop appeal, I'm trying to get back to just writing sick raps and don't give a shit what people think" (Recovery had a bit of that too, but it really comes through here). Despite all of the things I liked about the album, it honestly just didn't sound that great. Unlike MMLP2, where it suffered from a lack of consistency, this one has the opposite problem, it was consistent in that there weren't any bad songs, but there weren't any classics either.

8. Revival - Almost as bad as Relapse, but whereas Relapse doesn't have a single truly great track, this has at least one, in Believe. There's some other pretty good to really good ones, but this album suffered from a terrible lack of selectiveness. I think he at least learned his lesson from this one for Kamikaze, where there wasn't any filler. Addition by subtraction. Just way too much mediocre material here, it would have actually been a much better album had he simply cut out maybe five or six tracks.

9. Relapse - There were a bunch of pretty good to very good tracks on this one, but not a single I would consider great or a classic. Beautiful was the closest thing, and I also really liked Same Song and Dance, and Old Time Sake. But for every good track there was one mediocre to bad one. Still a solid album by most rappers standards, but Eminem has a standard to himself, and this one was rock bottom.
                            Last edited by matchesmalone; 05-09-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

As someone who barely listens to any rap or hip hop at all (perfect "crossover" target), you are spot on re: Recovery. Chanced upon it through my wife's playlist one day and that second half of the album has real quality throughout. Might have to give it another listen soon.

Comment

Anyone else into Rammstein? I am really digging their new album.

Comment

Working...
                                X