2016 World Juniors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 World Juniors

Good game today between USA and Canada. Crazy how well-structured these juniors are getting now days. No wonder so many 19 and 20 year-olds are NHL-ready. The salary cap tends to get all the credit/blame for all the young players making the NHL lately, but the way the game is coached at the junior levels has a lot to do with it too.

As a Sens fan, I couldn't help but swoon over Colin White. For me, the big story of the game, was the mis-story by TSN and all the media outlets. All the hype is directed at Auston Matthews, and rightfully so, but all the talk as about this all-draft-eligible "top line" with Matthew Tkachuk - Auston Matthews - Alex DeBrincatt. But it's only the media and fans who consider that the top line. Everyone knows this is a tournament for 18 and 19 year olds, and except for your Connor McDavids and Sidney Crosbys, the best players are always already-drafted players, and yet there was one sequence, where the Crouse line got stuck on the ice after a long shift and an icing, Ray Ferraro was losing his mind about why wouldn't Ron Wilson be putting out his top offensive line with an offensive zone faceoff against a tired Canada line... Newsflash, buddy, Matthews and Co. is not the top line... Colin White is an elite NHL prospect, dominating the NCAA as a freshman, who ate Canadian centers alive in the faceoff circle today . Christian Dvorak is 19 and the OHL's leading scorer, Sonny Milano is an immensely skilled first round pick, already playing pro in one of the best leagues in the world. We've all been following this tournament long enough, and we've all heard the mantra, "this is a 19 year-old's tournament", so why are we so surprised that the Colin White line, and not the Matthews line, is USA's top line?

Woops, I thought I put this in the general hockey section.

Comment

Yeah, Colin White looks awesome. He was fantastic yesterday. I thought Chabot was really good, too. Always made the right play, was reliable and showed some good offensive potential and great skating. Both of those look like really solid picks by Murray.

And yeah, I get you Matches. I don't think a lot of people realize the difference even a year can make for a player in this tournament. Will Austin Matthews be better than Colin White? Of course. But as of right now, guys like Colin White are the ones who will get it done for Team USA.

Comment

Canada - Finland tied at 5.

http://hackey69.1apps.com/

Comment

Finland takes a 6-5 lead

Comment

5 minutes left

Comment

Can PP coming up...damn, of course, the Canadian boys can't control their emotions and they take a penalty in the after whistle scrum...

Comment

1:29 left in the game - Canada calls a timeout

Comment

Game over

Comment

Working...
                  X