Vegas draft simulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
    The other thing I'm having trouble trying to predict is UFAs. We know that once Vegas gets the protected lists they will have a window to try to negotiate with UFAs. But what UFAs would want to sign with an expansion team? I'm struggling with this especially with Washington. Oshie, Williams, Alzner, Shattenkirk all UFA. Why would you waste a protection spot on a player who might not sign with you anyway? So I have Washington leave those guys available, but I can't imagine any of them signing with Vegas. Every player wants to win a Stanley Cup, and if you're old enough to be a UFA, then you probably don't want to go into an expansion team knowing you're not going to be a Cup contender anytime soon.
    I used to scratch my head a lot about UFAs who go to marginal teams. Finances aside, I think a lot of guys just want to be the big fish in a small pond. Take Shattenkirk for example; he has gone on record saying he wants to be THE first pairing guy wherever he signs. This all clicked for me when Versteeg signed with the Flames. He probably could have done something like Brian Campbell and take a pay cut to play for a contender but Brian Campbell ended up getting healthy scratched in Chicago. I'm sure Teddy Purcell would rather not have signed in LA if he had known how things would play out. Purcell would have been top six if he signed in Carolina or New Jersey hypothetically. Agents probably also push for (obviously money) somewhere where the player can max out his individual stats playing big minutes.

Comment

Let me do it again so it can be fresh in my mind because I don't remember what I did for the one I made a couple of weeks ago that I posted here. Using capfriendly:

Alex Killorn - Vadim Shipachev - Ryan Strome
      Josh Leivo - Cody Eakin - Craig Smith
      Michael Raffl - Jori Lehtera - Michael Grabner
      Joakim Nordstrom - William Karlsson - Patrick Eaves
      Lance Bouma - Marcus Kruger - Blake Comeau
      Charles Hudon - Nic Dowd - Anton Rodin
      Nail Yakupov - Marko Dano - Anthony Duclair

Marc Methot - Jonas Brodin
      Olli Maatta - Jason Demers
      Joe Morrow - David Schlemko
      Griffin Reinhart - Trevor vanRiemsdyk

Jimmy Howard
      Philipp Grubauer
      Linus Ullmark
      Scott Wedgewood

Some notes:

-- LVK acquires Kruger as well as taking Trevor vanRiemsdyk.
      -- LVK takes Lehtera's contract as well as a prospect/pick from STL and Yakupov's RFA rights.
      -- Bieksa waives his NMC for ANA, Vatanen is unprotected but is traded before ED.
      -- If a hypothetical deal including Vatanan-Tatar/Nyquist took place between ANA-DET, it'd be interesting. I personally wouldn't protect Kronwall but did here.
      -- I have a hard time believing Demers will be left unprotected but they really don't have a choice in Florida and I don't think you'd want to lose Pysyk for nothing either.
      -- MIN is the toughest team to do this for. Anyone of Brodin, Scandella, Niederreiter or Zucker could realistically end up in Vegas.
      -- NSH either goes 8-1 and protects all of their top-4 D and works a deal with Vegas to not take Aberg, or they go 7-3-1 and work a deal for Vegas to not take Ekholm.
      -- NYI is in a situation where they're going to lose one of Strome, Nelson, Hamonic or de Haan for nothing, imo.
      -- PIT is losing one of Maatta, Cole, Dumoulin, Schultz or Hagelin.
      -- TB can have Callahan waive to protect Killorn but you're still in a sticky cap situation. You can't let Namestnikov go for nothing, plus he has a close relationship with Kucherov who you don't want to make angry after he signed a really team-friendly deal.
      -- Leivo could be protected in Toronto if Boyle won't re-sign, imo.

Comment

I flip-flopped a lot on whether Detroit would protect Kronwall. On the one hand they know they're in a rebuild and he's 36 and declining. But on the other hand, loyalty always rules in Detroit. Not sure why Tampa would be so set on keeping Namestnikov; two straight years of ~30 points, I can't imagine him suddenly exploding into a must-have player.. For the Islanders, I don't have them losing any of the players you named, but Ryan Pulock instead - like I said, I wanted to make sure to get some pure prospects so there's not gonna be a log jam of 30 NHL players fighting for 20 roster spots. The way I had NYI going, Strome and De Haan would be available, but Strome seems to have stalled out in his development, and while I really like De Haan, there are plenty of similar NHL defensemen available, but a 22 year old first round pick with nearly a p/g last year in the AHL, the upside is too good to pass up..

Anyhow, I just finished my team, and I have to say, I'm very happy with it. I think I did justice to every team in making sure they made the best possible picks given their situation, i.e. contenders protected roster players and left open prospects, while rebuilding teams exposed some aging contracts to protect rising youth. And I think I managed to put together a team for Vegas that would be competitive right away, but also has a very bright future.

The trickiest thing for me was goalies. Again, I wanted one solid veteran, one mid-aged cusp-starter, and one really good pure prospect. But there are so many good options for all three - definitely the position with the most surplus league-wide. So what I did was I only took goalies from teams when there wasn't really any good options at forward or defense. This allowed for a stronger team up front, I still managed to end up with some pretty solid goaltending.

Mike Cammalleri - Mathieu Perreault - Lee Stempniak
        Kevin Hayes - Vadim Shipachev - Drew Stafford
        Boone Jenner - Zach Smith - Colton Sissons
        Vladislav Namestnikov - Darren Helm - Melker Karlsson

Marco Scandella - Sami Vatanen
        Derek Forbort - Jason Demers
        Brandon Manning - Ian Cole

Antti Niemi
        Anders Nilsson

healthy scratches:
        F - Reid Boucher
        D - Luke Schenn, Mark Barberio

AHL:
        F: Hunter Shinkaruk, Charles Hudon, Seth Griffith
        D: Ryan Pulock, Ville Pokka, Christian Djoos
        G: Laurent Brossoit

Comment

Wow. Mike I definitely like your second team better than your first team. That's a young, even more competitive team with tons of NHL talent. I liked reading through the points at the end.. you've got a real good eye for what's going on in the league. But I also really like what Kevin did with the idea of keeping some of the best available young prospects to not have 30 NHL players who are too good or too seasoned for the AHL all fighting for spots. Kevin your team is very competitive, has a remarkable cupboard of prospects for an expansion team, and is the most realistic of all the submissions so far, in my opinion - with mine honestly being the least realistic given that I gave it very little thought compared to both of you and just went with the pre-selected protected players.

Comment

The thing with Pulock is I'm pretty sure Garth Snow said they were protecting him, or Staples (the beat writer connected to the Isles with all the sources) said Pulock isn't going to be exposed. And quite frankly, I don't blame them.

The thing with Vegas is they can take a bunch of NHL players rather than prospects... and then just flip them for more assets to other teams. I kind of expect them to do that to begin with and sign quite a few European prospects; I expect them to sign Dadonov soon.

Comment

Russo said the Wild are going to trade one of Brodin/Dumba (whichever they don't protect) and expose Staal to protect a younger player like Zucker.

Comment

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
                I flip-flopped a lot on whether Detroit would protect Kronwall. On the one hand they know they're in a rebuild and he's 36 and declining. But on the other hand, loyalty always rules in Detroit. Not sure why Tampa would be so set on keeping Namestnikov; two straight years of ~30 points, I can't imagine him suddenly exploding into a must-have player.. For the Islanders, I don't have them losing any of the players you named, but Ryan Pulock instead - like I said, I wanted to make sure to get some pure prospects so there's not gonna be a log jam of 30 NHL players fighting for 20 roster spots. The way I had NYI going, Strome and De Haan would be available, but Strome seems to have stalled out in his development, and while I really like De Haan, there are plenty of similar NHL defensemen available, but a 22 year old first round pick with nearly a p/g last year in the AHL, the upside is too good to pass up..

Anyhow, I just finished my team, and I have to say, I'm very happy with it. I think I did justice to every team in making sure they made the best possible picks given their situation, i.e. contenders protected roster players and left open prospects, while rebuilding teams exposed some aging contracts to protect rising youth. And I think I managed to put together a team for Vegas that would be competitive right away, but also has a very bright future.

The trickiest thing for me was goalies. Again, I wanted one solid veteran, one mid-aged cusp-starter, and one really good pure prospect. But there are so many good options for all three - definitely the position with the most surplus league-wide. So what I did was I only took goalies from teams when there wasn't really any good options at forward or defense. This allowed for a stronger team up front, I still managed to end up with some pretty solid goaltending.

Mike Cammalleri - Mathieu Perreault - Lee Stempniak
                Kevin Hayes - Vadim Shipachev - Drew Stafford
                Boone Jenner - Zach Smith - Colton Sissons
                Vladislav Namestnikov - Darren Helm - Melker Karlsson

Marco Scandella - Sami Vatanen
                Derek Forbort - Jason Demers
                Brandon Manning - Ian Cole

Antti Niemi
                Anders Nilsson

healthy scratches:
                F - Reid Boucher
                D - Luke Schenn, Mark Barberio

AHL:
                F: Hunter Shinkaruk, Charles Hudon, Seth Griffith
                D: Ryan Pulock, Ville Pokka, Christian Djoos
                G: Laurent Brossoit
                I agree with you an almost all of these. The only thing I would do drastically differently would be taking Raanta from the Rangers instead of Hayes and getting Nichuskin's rights from Dallas instead of doing them a favour by taking Niemi off the books. My totally unfounded out of left field prediction is that Vegas gets Radulov's rights from Montreal. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! Except what I said probably.

Comment

I've avoided getting involved in something like this due to all the potential variables, such as who teams protect and deals they make with Vegas.

Comment

Fleury is reportedly waiving his NMC (for Vegas only). I gotta say, as a baseball fan, these things are unfathomable. Only in hockey would the agents/union allow players to sacrifice so much leverage to a team. Regardless of morals and ethics and blah blah blah this is what keeps the NHL from competing with the three big leagues in north america. CAPITALISM.

Comment

Working...
                    X