2017 Habs Off-Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Habs Off-Season

Man, some of the Habs' moves didn't seem to make sense one at a time, but now it looks like a stronger roster than last year in my opinion, whether Sergachev develops into an amazing player or not.

really? I think the Habs have regressed big time. No top-six center still (since they don't view Chucky as one), slower defense, still no real good prospects coming up that can fill the holes we need. I don't think the Habs are that good of a team anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
      really? I think the Habs have regressed big time. No top-six center still (since they don't view Chucky as one), slower defense, still no real good prospects coming up that can fill the holes we need. I don't think the Habs are that good of a team anymore.
      What about Philip Danault? Sure, he's been a slow bloomer, but 40 points in his first full season; 51.7% on 1031 faceoffs taken. Maybe he won't develop into a top line center, but he seems pretty damn close to a top six center already, and he'll surely take some kind of step forward this season.

I agree with Josh, depending on what kind of development we see from the likes of Drouin, Danault and Lehkonen, they should be at least a marginally improved team from last season. But of course, a lot of other teams in the league are improving too, so I think whether or not they will keep up is going to all depend on Drouin. If he develops into the kind of 90 point stick magician freakshow that we thought he might when he was drafted, the Habs could be a legit Cup contender.

Comment

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post

What about Philip Danault? Sure, he's been a slow bloomer, but 40 points in his first full season; 51.7% on 1031 faceoffs taken. Maybe he won't develop into a top line center, but he seems pretty damn close to a top six center already, and he'll surely take some kind of step forward this season.

I agree with Josh, depending on what kind of development we see from the likes of Drouin, Danault and Lehkonen, they should be at least a marginally improved team from last season. But of course, a lot of other teams in the league are improving too, so I think whether or not they will keep up is going to all depend on Drouin. If he develops into the kind of 90 point stick magician freakshow that we thought he might when he was drafted, the Habs could be a legit Cup contender.
        Danault is an elite 3C that can jump into the top-six in case of injuries, imo. He was exposed in the playoffs. His entire top-six time was him playing on a line with Pacioretty and Radulov. I like Danault, but he's not a top-six imo, he's an elite 3C.

Comment

Well, I mean, it was his first full NHL season. Admittedly he is already 24, drafted in 2011, but you don't see any room for growth?

Comment

Players Lost: Radulov, Flynn, Ott, Emelin, Beaulieu, Nesterov
            Players in Limbo: King, Markov
            Players Added: Drouin, Holland, Hemsky, Schlemko, Alzner

Drouin + Holland + Hemsky > Radulov + Flynn and Schlemko + Alzner =or> Emelin + Beaulieu. The Habs should try hard to retain at least one of Markov and Nesterov though.

Prospects Lost: Matteau, Sergachev, Lowe
            Prospects in Limbo: MacMillan, Johnston, Crisp, Hanley, Nygren, Farnham
            Prospects Added: Froese, Taormina, Morrow

I'm not sure if Taormina can still be considered a prospect, but he had a career year in the AHL last season and it'll be interesting to see if he can make the Habs roster out of training camp.

Comment

Ott, King and Nesterov are gone.

Alzner's contract is bad, I'd rather have Emelin for one more year. The difference between the two isn't as big as it once was.

The Drouin trade is a shitty move now that Radulov signed in Dallas and instead of adding Drouin on top of our offense we pretty much replaced Radulov's production and lost Sergachev, who would have stepped into the lineup.

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
              Well, I mean, it was his first full NHL season. Admittedly he is already 24, drafted in 2011, but you don't see any room for growth?
              I don't see it. I see elite 3C which he already is. He's a hard worker but pure skill isn't there where I can say he'll progress much more. He's a hard worker and great two way player though.

Comment

Ott, King and Nesterov are gone.

Alzner's contract is bad, I'd rather have Emelin for one more year. The difference between the two isn't as big as it once was.

The Drouin trade is a shitty move now that Radulov signed in Dallas and instead of adding Drouin on top of our offense we pretty much replaced Radulov's production and lost Sergachev, who would have stepped into the lineup.
                I edited the list to show the losses of Ott and Nesterov. I'll keep King in limbo until he signs somewhere else though, in case he does happen to sign with Montreal.

The way I see it, Radulov is a mercenary while Drouin is a franchise player. Drouin + Holland + Hemsky (combined age 80, 72 points in 136 games) is still better than Radulov + Flynn + Ott (combined age 93, 71 points in 180 games) in my opinion.

As for Schlemko + Alzner vs Emelin + Beaulieu (I don't count Nesterov here because he only played 13 regular season and 2 playoff games), I have to admit that Beaulieu is a pretty big loss. I don't understand that trade at all. Still, you're trading a combined 11 seasons of NHL experience for 18 seasons and only getting 3 years older. Retaining Markov is pretty important.

Comment

Just to get it out of the way: King is absolutely not coming back. Bergevin said so after the playoffs. King was also awful for us and made the team worse just by being in the lineup and blocking someone who could be useful. He was horrendous and one of the most useless players I remember in recent memory dressing for us. Even Mathieu Darche was better than him all those years ago. He was useless.

Mercenary in what way? The guy was nothing but fantastic for us and was our best player for the majority of the year and the playoffs. He got it. It's not his fault the general manager is a dumbass whose ego is bigger than the team and tried fucking around Radulov before it came back to bite him in the ass.

Drouin deal is awesome if we retain Radulov and both are in our top-6, instead it essentially became Radulov + Sergachev = Drouin. Awful. Hemsky is always hurt so meh. Holland isn't going to be on the main roster -- he's going to be in the AHL. It was a signing by the AHL GM which is why it's two years with only year one being two-way.

Schlemko is solid, Alzner is a 5D at this point imo unless he rebounds, which I'm not holding my breath on. Again, I'd rather have Emelin for one year than Alzner for five considering the path the league is heading towards.

The Beaulieu trade was dumb but it was written on the wall when he was scratched for game 6 which was also incredibly stupid. The thing with Beaulieu is when he knows he has the confidence of the coaching staff he excels. When he makes one mistake and can continue getting his regular minutes, he's fine. He bounces back. He's always been punished in MTL though when making a mistake. This is a guy who was playing 25 minutes a night in Markov's absence and didn't look out of place at all. Not one bit. He was fantastic. Then he gets demoted and his confidence was shot. Horrible. He's going to excel in Buffalo.

We lost two mobile puck moving defensemen, one with top-4 potential, one with top-10 in the league potential, for a young winger (hell we didn't even trade Sergachev to address our biggest need at center) and got older and slower on our blue line. The blue line, as is, is going to get destroyed by the faster and quicker teams in the conference.

Comment

Just to get it out of the way: King is absolutely not coming back. Bergevin said so after the playoffs. King was also awful for us and made the team worse just by being in the lineup and blocking someone who could be useful. He was horrendous and one of the most useless players I remember in recent memory dressing for us. Even Mathieu Darche was better than him all those years ago. He was useless.
                    Hahaha this is my favorite thing I've read all day. Fuck the Kings.

Comment

Mercenary in what way? The guy was nothing but fantastic for us and was our best player for the majority of the year and the playoffs. He got it. It's not his fault the general manager is a dumbass whose ego is bigger than the team and tried fucking around Radulov before it came back to bite him in the ass.

Drouin deal is awesome if we retain Radulov and both are in our top-6, instead it essentially became Radulov + Sergachev = Drouin. Awful. Hemsky is always hurt so meh. Holland isn't going to be on the main roster -- he's going to be in the AHL. It was a signing by the AHL GM which is why it's two years with only year one being two-way.
                      I'm gonna be laughing pretty good when Drouin is making you eat your words. But then I'm sure you won't be too upset about it.

Comment

Alzner is a 5D at this point imo unless he rebounds, which I'm not holding my breath on. Again, I'd rather have Emelin for one year than Alzner for five considering the path the league is heading towards.
                        Correction: Alzner was a 4/5D on one of the best teams in the league. The way things are shaking out, unless Markov is re-signed, he'll be a 3D in Montreal.

Comment

I don't want to argue with Fan Boys or Stat Boys... I do what to mention what I have noticed with these transactions and what the media isn't talking about.

First of all, this will be the first year with the new coach. I am sure Julien had a say with some of the moves. He is a different beast when it comes to coaching compared to Therrien.

Second of all, when you look at the roster. Most of the players are now from north America. A big change from a couple years ago.

Losing Emelin I feel is huge. I saw his skillset as soon as he joined the Habs and the media was ripping on him not being able to adapt to the north American style... The media thought the same about Radulov. Thinking that GM was taking a huge risk. Losing Radulov was big too but having extra dough coming into the season isn't a bad thing. Teams will be trying out their new pieces the first few months. I am sure the are more deals going to be made before the season is done.

Clearly the Bergevin has a lot of tools at his disposition and support staff. I am not worried about the future of this team.

ARMCHAIR GM INCOMMING!

Comment

Matches - if Drouin produces 70+ points, awesome. I don't see it with our defense and powerplay the way it's shaping up, though. 26 of his 53 points last season were on the powerplay. Our powerplay won't be that good. We don't have a Victor Hedman. If he can become the offensive juggernaut though then awesome. Regardless, we still traded Sergachev for a player that didn't address our need at center and lost Radulov for nothing, merely making the Drouin deal a "replace Radulov" deal rather than "put us over the top with Radulov AND Drouin".

Alzner played so poorly on the Caps down the stretch that Schmidt replaced him and effectively made Alzner the 7D. He was too slow to keep up with the Penguins' attack. The fact that he's a 3D on Montreal speaks more about how poorly built our defense is rather than how good Alzner is, imo. Alzner WAS a good defensemen a couple of seasons ago but has slowed down to the point where he and Emelin are much more similar than they previously were. It just wasn't a good move on a defense that is already slow enough.

It's also my other gripe with Bergevin where he throws term and money at guys like Alzner and Shaw like it's nothing but for his skill guys his ego gets in the way and he plays hard ball. He did it with Subban, he did it with Galchenyuk, and he did it with Radulov who he now lost.

And I also don't know if you're laughing at the King comment because you think I'm exaggerating or agreeing lol. The guy was blindsided by the trade from the Kings and wasn't half the player he was for the Kings during their Cup runs.

Originally posted by Kephryn View Post
                            I don't want to argue with Fan Boys or Stat Boys... I do what to mention what I have noticed with these transactions and what the media isn't talking about.

First of all, this will be the first year with the new coach. I am sure Julien had a say with some of the moves. He is a different beast when it comes to coaching compared to Therrien.

Second of all, when you look at the roster. Most of the players are now from north America. A big change from a couple years ago.

Losing Emelin I feel is huge. I saw his skillset as soon as he joined the Habs and the media was ripping on him not being able to adapt to the north American style... The media thought the same about Radulov. Thinking that GM was taking a huge risk. Losing Radulov was big too but having extra dough coming into the season isn't a bad thing. Teams will be trying out their new pieces the first few months. I am sure the are more deals going to be made before the season is done.

Clearly the Bergevin has a lot of tools at his disposition and support staff. I am not worried about the future of this team.

ARMCHAIR GM INCOMMING!
                            I'd be worried about the future of the team. What talent has the Bergevin regime developed into a full-time NHLer since taking over? The only one off the top of my head is Lehkonen and he was developed by Frolunda, not the Habs organization. Beaulieu was horribly misused, someone as simple as Galchenyuk has been mind fucked with for his entire NHL run. It's awful mishandling of talented players in this organization. Hudon, who's only had cups of coffee in the NHL, has been named as the guy who'll replace Radulov's production. Good luck with that one. Hudon didn't even see NHL time on a team that needed goal scoring DESPERATELY and was playing Dwight King ahead of him. 27 goals in 56 AHL games this season and all he got was 3 NHL games earlier in the season (where he put up 2 assists and played well).

I have more faith in Julien with our younger players on the main roster, but this is still the same coach who supported trading Tyler Seguin in Boston and was playing Galchenyuk on the 4th line winger spot with Ott as his center for the playoffs only to see his team score 11 goals in 6 games... and then when the chips were down and he needed a goal, he put the guy he was playing as a winger on the 4th line as the 1C to spark the offense with 2 minutes left. Genius.

I'm still pretty salty that Bergevin chose Therrien over Subban last summer and missed out on Boucher.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Ambrose

And I also don't know if you're laughing at the King comment because you think I'm exaggerating or agreeing lol. The guy was blindsided by the trade from the Kings and wasn't half the player he was for the Kings during their Cup runs.
                              I can say with certainty that Matches was laughing because he hates the King family (players, not team).

Comment

Working...
                              X