General Sens Talk - Part III

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post

Well, only real money matters to Ottawa, and the Sens still save around $5M in this deal (with Thompson). Plus, Gaborik is more likely to retire/LTIR than Phaneuf, and his contract is easier to buy out.
    That's true. I was thinking like a fan of a real team for a moment. :(

Comment

• I think the biggest win here is getting rid of Nate Friggin Thompson, who was signed to torture us with ANOTHER YEAR of his ineptitude, and replacing him with Shore. I don't know much about Shore but I can confirm with certainty he is NOT Nate Friggin Thompson and thus an immediate upgrade.

Yes we got Gaborik, which 10 years ago perhaps meant something...I feel like eating Phaneuf's salary deserved another (healthy, not over the hill) forward. We are still playing Max McCormick and that has to stop.

Did you see Rob Blake's comments on this trade? Paraphrasing, but basically praised Phaneuf and called Thompson a good "energy guy". LMAO at least he knows he got clowned on that part.

Comment

• Great work all around from Dorion here. I think y'all covered all the pertinent details above. What I really like about this trade is how literally not one Senators fan will ever remember that Ottawa played a game last night. I bet you've already forgotten the final score. I read a great article on Fangraphs the other day about the off-season and the "meta-theater" that is sports fandom pertaining to roster construction. I think it's an interesting concept and I've been fascinated regarding sports consumption ever since I heard that phrase. What does it all mean?

PHANECI IS DEAD.

EDIT:
        Gaborik, Pyatt, and Rodewald all have the same birthday (today).
        Last edited by thedaigle1; 02-14-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• I think it came down to what player had the more manageable contract - Gaborik. He has a smaller cap hit, smaller actual salary, more buyout-friendly, more likely to retire before the deal ends and no NTC/NMC.

Phaneuf is probably a slightly more serviceable guy (more healthy), but Ottawa moved an anchor of a deal and Thompson, too. If only we could find a new home for Bobby, now.

Comment

• Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post
            Great work all around from Dorion here. I think y'all covered all the pertinent details above. What I really like about this trade is how literally not one Senators fan will ever remember that Ottawa played a game last night. I bet you've already forgotten the final score. I read a great article on Fangraphs the other day about the off-season and the "meta-theater" that is sports fandom pertaining to roster construction. I think it's an interesting concept and I've been fascinated regarding sports consumption ever since I heard that phrase. What does it all mean?

PHANECI IS DEAD.

EDIT:
            Gaborik, Pyatt, and Rodewald all have the same birthday (today).
            This makes sense. Think about "Career Mode" in any NHL, FIFA, Madden, NBA etc. game. Sure, all the cool kids are playing online these days - attention spans that rival a goldfish, all that jazz. For me, nothing beats a good management sim where I get to sign the deals, balance the contracts, make the trades for an entire team. I play the actual games too but this is a huge part of my enjoyment.

Extension of point - I wonder how attitudes will change as millennials children get older and become the target audience, whilst I yell GET OFF MY LAWN at passers by, reminiscing about Erik Karlsson that one year in the playoffs...

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post

This makes sense. Think about "Career Mode" in any NHL, FIFA, Madden, NBA etc. game. Sure, all the cool kids are playing online these days - attention spans that rival a goldfish, all that jazz. For me, nothing beats a good management sim where I get to sign the deals, balance the contracts, make the trades for an entire team. I play the actual games too but this is a huge part of my enjoyment.

Extension of point - I wonder how attitudes will change as millennials children get older and become the target audience, whilst I yell GET OFF MY LAWN at passers by, reminiscing about Erik Karlsson that one year in the playoffs...
              Last edited by thedaigle1; 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• I like Dido - I think he's a good bottom six option for the team. I haven't watched many games since they got Paajarvi, but my expectations were low on him.

Also, I wanna see how Ceci does now with a different D partner.

Comment

• Comment

• Plus, his injury history makes him more likely to retire early/LTIR retire.

I think this was a very, very nice move from Dorion. Probably his best as GM of the Sens so far (depth trades last year were also good).

The only concern I have is who eats Phaneuf's minutes. He played a lot of tough minutes at ES and the PK.

Comment

• Comment

• The only problems with Phaneuf were:

1. He played too many minutes for Ottawa - not personally his fault as no one to step up around him
                        2. He makes too much money for Ottawa - again, not personally his fault, he signed what he was worth at the time

If we played Phaneuf at #4 D for about 17-20 minutes a game it would have been great. So long as LA deploy him in that kind of role he will shine.

Comment

• Poll:

Gaborik will:

A) Play for the Senators
                          B) Get busted at the border with opiates
                          C) Become allergic to his equipment
                          D) Go to Europe to be closer to family

Comment

• There will be some kind of "injury" that either miraculously gets better in the buyout window, or causes LTIR until end of contract and then retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
                              I like Dido - I think he's a good bottom six option for the team. I haven't watched many games since they got Paajarvi, but my expectations were low on him.

Also, I wanna see how Ceci does now with a different D partner.
                              Dido cleared (thumbs up).

Also, as bad as Ceci is, Chabot is good enough to make everyone else on the ice look good. I don't like the idea of anchoring Chabot. If we're stuck with Ceci, however, it's worth a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post

Dido cleared (thumbs up).

Also, as bad as Ceci is, Chabot is good enough to make everyone else on the ice look good. I don't like the idea of anchoring Chabot. If we're stuck with Ceci, however, it's worth a shot.
                                They traded him for Ville Pokka...

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-get-pokka-fr...nico-1.1000701

Comment

Working...
                                X