Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Josh View Post

http://forum.highonhockey.com/node/27505

Kind of funny to look back, as we were all happy enough with the deal.
    Oh, well, of course everything looks bad if you remember it. Now, where are my chili boots?
    Josh likes this.

Comment

• I was just looking through some old threads the other day and found one where I made a blood prediction that Detroit would win the Cup, just before their dynasty collapsed. It seems I thought that the combination of experienced stars like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Howard, with young players on the verge of breakouts in Tatar, Nyquist and Mrazek, would make for a winning team.

on the plus side, I did predict that it would be the year an Eastern Conference team finally won a Cup, either Detroit, Tampa or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh took it that year.

Comment

• It's only been three games, but props to Sens management for some of the pieces they got back from the Karlsson trade. Tierney and Demlo have both been better than advertised, and Rudolfs Balcers is somebody I'm really interested in seeing how he progresses. I'm unfamiliar with Josh Norris ... is he Tkachuk's best friend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
          It's only been three games, but props to Sens management for some of the pieces they got back from the Karlsson trade. Tierney and Demlo have both been better than advertised, and Rudolfs Balcers is somebody I'm really interested in seeing how he progresses. I'm unfamiliar with Josh Norris ... is he Tkachuk's best friend?
          BFFs baby! Also, management should probably hype this while they can; DeMelo and Tierney are currently outpacing Karlsson in points production. This can't keep going until the end of the month even, can it? Can it?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post

BFFs baby! Also, management should probably hype this while they can; DeMelo and Tierney are currently outpacing Karlsson in points production. This can't keep going until the end of the month even, can it? Can it?!?
            I'm personally not surprised by Karlsson's lack of production.

His whole career (well, this Year 3), he has been the whole team. The play ran through him for the nearly half of the game he was on the ice. Now you have a team adding him as a complimentary piece, in a completely new system. Everything he's learnt, gotten used to and been in the past six years is scrapped. Of course he's going to struggle for a little bit. I don't blame him or the Sharks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post

I'm personally not surprised by Karlsson's lack of production.

His whole career (well, this Year 3), he has been the whole team. The play ran through him for the nearly half of the game he was on the ice. Now you have a team adding him as a complimentary piece, in a completely new system. Everything he's learnt, gotten used to and been in the past six years is scrapped. Of course he's going to struggle for a little bit. I don't blame him or the Sharks.
              Agreed, and I'm sure there are going to be multi-point games ahead for him as a Shark.

When do they play Florida?

Comment

• Pretty rough game last night. Officiating was horrible both ways. Andy is struggling but at this stage I'm blaming the D in front of him.

Lajoie with Ceci doesn't work. You can't have the worst D on the team covering for the least experienced. Also, Wideman looks really slow...can't figure out if he's always been slow or if this is new? Still, when your call up is Ben Harpur I am not sure what you do?

One more thing, what is up with commentators saying the Sens have trouble scoring? They mentioned this a few times last night - we've scored like 12 or 13 goals in the last 3 games. It's the other net in our own end that's a concern.

Comment

• Yeah kinda worried about Wideman considering the injury he suffered last season. Also maybe send Formenton to Belleville at this point? He's getting crushed out there (no fault of his own). Formy is leading the team in penalties drawn though and that's great news. White, Wideman, and Tkachuk are the other Senators atop the penalties drawn list. Four games is such a small sample size and the whole team has kinda stunk save for offensive output from the rookies and new acquisitions. After the fifth game, I plan on doing a more comprehensive write-up about where Ottawa is at statistically.

Comment

Yeah kinda worried about Wideman considering the injury he suffered last season. Also maybe send Formenton to Belleville at this point? He's getting crushed out there (no fault of his own).
                    Fully agree. There's no shame in going back to Belleville and developing just a little bit more. His raw speed is fine but I don't feel he's ready for this level yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post

Fully agree. There's no shame in going back to Belleville and developing just a little bit more. His raw speed is fine but I don't feel he's ready for this level yet.
                      I just don't understand Boucher's choices with Formenton. He's seeing PK time and no PP time. He's getting anchored with Bobby Ryan who is an extremely not known for skating fast guy. With the exception of last night he was sheltered away from the opposition's top line so at least he's not totally getting thrown to the wolves though.

Comment

I just don't understand Boucher's choices with Formenton. He's seeing PK time and no PP time. He's getting anchored with Bobby Ryan who is an extremely not known for skating fast guy. With the exception of last night he was sheltered away from the opposition's top line so at least he's not totally getting thrown to the wolves though.
                        This is a very good point but I think you kinda answered your own question. Being anchored with Bobby Ryan = being sheltered away from opposition top lines.

Formenton defensively has looked mediocre, at least from my eye test. I don't know why he'd be on the PK unless it's to try and drive short-handed chances.

Comment

• Yeah Formenton on the PK to back teams off. Boucher has pretty explicitly said, he's trying kids out in positions and situations that he expects them to play in the future, and let them develop into those roles by firsthand experiences. He mentioned that late last season he was playing Chabot way more than he was comfortable playing him, and he struggled through it, but by throwing him to the wolves like that, he's come back this year far more experienced than he otherwise would be.

This is not just for the benefit of the long-term future; I think he believes if we're going to have a chance to make any noise this year, it is going to have to be on the strength of some of these kids, and so he's trying to get as much of the growing pains as possible out of the way early. I think it is an interesting strategy, and I'm still pretty hopeful from what I've seen so far.

Also, again, Formenton cannot go to Belleville. London or Ottawa for him.

Comment

• I thought he had already played for Belleville?

Comment

• Yeah for two games. The NHL and CHL have an agreement in place whereby players under 20 drafted out of the CHL have to return to the CHL if released by their NHL team, they cannot be sent to the AHL. But once their CHL season comes to an end, they can then be assigned to the AHL for the remainder of the season.

Comment

• Oh ok I never knew the specifics, makes sense now

Comment

Working...
                                X