Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Sens Talk - Part III

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post
    Ehh that Uber episode is EXACTLY what I would expect from players, in their private time, of a team run as poorly as the Senators are. I'd sure hate to have a camera/mic follow me around capturing all my comments about management where I work.
    Agreed. While I can see where Josh is coming from about those players coming across as whiny, entitled brats, I think that's par for the course. If people sell that Wideman, and Hoffman, and even Karlsson had bad attitudes, I can buy it. I feel relieved to know though that some players haven't drank uncle Eugene's purple kool-aid.
    Josh likes this.

    Comment


    • I feel like "good" attitudes are the exception when it comes to professional athletes, not the norm. These guys grew up, from a young age, with everyone fawning over them, telling them they are special and eventually paying them millions of dollars to "do sports".

      Not trying to claim it isn't difficult, they are all very talented and/or work hard, but I feel all that attention comes at a cost to one's personality.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post
        I feel like "good" attitudes are the exception when it comes to professional athletes, not the norm. These guys grew up, from a young age, with everyone fawning over them, telling them they are special and eventually paying them millions of dollars to "do sports".

        Not trying to claim it isn't difficult, they are all very talented and/or work hard, but I feel all that attention comes at a cost to one's personality.
        In other news, the Panthers have requested Mike Hoffman's 'no-trade' list from his agent.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post

          In other news, the Panthers have requested Mike Hoffman's 'no-trade' list from his agent.
          Man, what even happened to Florida? I had them as my dark horse to go deep.

          Comment


          • https://twitter.com/jsportsnet/statu...859030016?s=21

            Comment


            • Update from the engine room on the titanic: Ottawa had a pretty decent game last night in terms of fancy stats and have been trending in the right direction for about a month. And now, back to slow, painful death.

              Comment


              • Recapping the recent Sens trades:

                OUT
                Mark Stone
                Matt Duchene
                Ryan Dzingel
                Julius Bergman
                Patrick Sieloff

                IN
                Erik Brannstrom
                Vitaly Abramov
                Anthony Duclair
                Jonathan Davidsson
                Oscar Lindberg
                Brian Gibbons
                CBJ 2019 1st round pick (2020 1st if top 3)
                CBJ 2020 2nd round pick
                DAL 2020 2nd round pick
                CBJ 2021 2nd round pick

                Comment


                • https://twitter.com/ryanclassic/stat...250564608?s=21

                  Comment


                  • Question: Just how bad was Ottawa's defence during the lost decade?

                    I won't get into the statistics right now. I just wanted to start the autopsy of the lost decade by going over some names. Here is a list of former Senators defenders from 09-18 who are no longer in the NHL for one reason or another: Benoit, Campoli, Carkner, Corvo, Cowen, Englund, Gilroy, Gonchar, Jokipakka, Kostka, Kuba, Lee, Lessard, Lundin, Oduya, Phillips, Rundblad, Smith, Sutton, Volchenkov, Wierchioch. Mother of god. Gonchar came to Ottawa way too late. Phillips was exactly what he was. Volchenkov and Carkner had their moments in Ottawa. Cowen, Lee, and Rundblad were straight busts. I always had a soft spot for Wierchioch. Suffice to say, looking at that list, things were a lot more dire than I thought and I think a lot of that had to do with Karlsson diverting our attention and carrying the team.

                    Who's still around? Gryba (0), Methot (0), Phaneuf (3), Claesson (6), Wideman (7). Those dudes have 18 points combined this season! (Cody Ceci has 22). I wasn't devastated when Methot got exposed in the expansion draft. Ottawa had a bunch of lefties who could take his place (any NHL defender looks good paired with EK) and Methot was overpaid on the wrong side of 30. Ditto for Claesson in terms of replace-ability. I was always high on Wideman, What the hell happened to him since though? Harpur and Boro have a combined seven points this season so--yeah--Ottawa isn't done cutting the fat yet.

                    The current/future core of Chabot-DeMelo, Lajoie-Jaros have a respectable 87 points among them that could be 30 points higher with Karlsson in DeMelo's place. (Stay tuned for Brannstrom). EDIT: I forgot to Mention Wolanin here who I am super stoked about. I'd be fine with one of Chabot, Lajoie, Wolanin or Brannstrom playing on the right. so that we could keep all four (and Jaros who is a righty.) It's still way too soon to know what we have in JBD-Tycho as a pairing in 3ish years.

                    I don't really know where I'm going with this except that Ottawa's defence was so bad outside of Erik for those ten years. Lack of defensive depth probably cost them the cup two years ago and made the team bad enough to plummet the Senators into a lottery position. I would certainly hypothesize that having Erik allowed the organization to duct tape the defence together for so long without ever being held accountable for their failure to properly develop a supporting cast. There were bad trades, there were bad signings, and there were prospects held onto for too long. Craig Anderson should probably be pretty salty that he squandered his best years with these guys in front of him. Both Alfie and Stone tried to compensate for this back-end train wreck for as long as they could and I have to wonder how different their legacies in Ottawa would be if Ottawa had drafted more than one all-star defender between Meszaros in 2004 and Chabot in 2015.
                    Last edited by thedaigle1; 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post
                      ...

                      The current/future core of Chabot-DeMelo, Lajoie-Jaros have a respectable 87 points among them that could be 30 points higher with Karlsson in DeMelo's place. (Stay tuned for Brannstrom). EDIT: I forgot to Mention Wolanin here who I am super stoked about. I'd be fine with one of Chabot, Lajoie, Wolanin or Brannstrom playing on the right. so that we could keep all four (and Jaros who is a righty.) It's still way too soon to know what we have in JBD-Tycho as a pairing in 3ish years.

                      ...

                      Craig Anderson should probably be pretty salty that he squandered his best years with these guys in front of him. Both Alfie and Stone tried to compensate for this back-end train wreck for as long as they could and I have to wonder how different their legacies in Ottawa would be if Ottawa had drafted more than one all-star defender between Meszaros in 2004 and Chabot in 2015.
                      Dude I love Jaros as much as the next guy but with Ceci around, that's never going to be a 2nd pair we see. It really cannot be stressed how much we DON'T need Ceci clogging up the middle (or even top) pair.

                      With Andy, at the same time let's not forget how much he carried this team on his back over stretches with terrible D. I know he's not so great now but that may be one of the best trades we ever made.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post

                        Dude I love Jaros as much as the next guy but with Ceci around, that's never going to be a 2nd pair we see. It really cannot be stressed how much we DON'T need Ceci clogging up the middle (or even top) pair.

                        With Andy, at the same time let's not forget how much he carried this team on his back over stretches with terrible D. I know he's not so great now but that may be one of the best trades we ever made.
                        I read this article every night before bed instead of praying: https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...-for-cody-ceci

                        Ceci is one year away from UFA status and "wants to play for a cup." There's always a chance that he accepts whatever ludicrous contract the Senators offer him instead of ever playing in the postseason again though.

                        Couldn't agree more about Andy. For the decade before he got here, goaltending was the missing piece. Then he got here and goaltending was the only constant.

                        Comment


                        • We don't need Ceci, but we do need a right-shooting defenseman. I could see the Sens going after Anton Stralman or Tyler Myers this offseason.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            I could see the Sens going after Anton Stralman or Tyler Myers this offseason.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thedaigle1 View Post

                              Well it's not like we're trying to win next year. Just gotta hit the cap floor.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
                                Well it's not like we're trying to win next year. Just gotta hit the cap floor.
                                I get that. If it's a 2-3 year commitment I'll get over it. I just don't want the team handcuffing themselves longterm. I'm all in for the tank next season. Lefreniere the fuck out bitches!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X