• Show
Clear All

Sens... ugh... why u do this..

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
      Sens trade #22 for #26 and #48
      One of the scenarios I guessed.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Ottawa trades 22 for 26 and 48. I like that.
      Absolutely.

Getting a second round pick to move down four spots in the later first round is great value
      Yup, and a much needed 2nd rounder since they didn't have a 2nd or 3rd.

Wow, Ottawa still has a shot at Veleno! If they take him here and got a 2nd out of it, that's really good.
      I dunno man, often prospects who are considered elite at an earlier point in their career, guys who are 1st overall in bantam drafts and shit, guys like Angelo Esposito, Sean Day, or just from the Sens, Matt Puempel, Jared Cowen, Curtis Lazar, don't pan out and I think often teams kinda know that already, but some team takes a flyer on them because of their earlier pedigree. I'm not sold on Veleno for anything more than a solid two-way top 9 forward at the NHL level.

I looked into Bernard-Docker a bit, and I noticed a few things that piqued my interest. First, as I was saying last year about Formenton and Bowers, Bernard-Docker is going to an all-time great program, especially for developing defensemen. The North Dakota Fighting Hawks have 22 Frozen Four appearances, 8 national championships in its history, including one as recently as 2016.... But then Brian Lee also went there, so...

He was 5th in the AJHL in points by defensemen, and the 4 players ahead of him were all aged 19, to his 17. He also led the league in goals by defensemen, by a fairly wide margin, he had 20 and the next guy had 14. Trent Mann, in his media session, pointed out how much they like his style of play for today's NHL, where D jump in and create offense all the time off the cycle. Can't wait to see if he can do it next year for the Fighting Hawks.
      Last edited by matchesmalone; 06-23-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Ha! Another D going to North Dakota!

Like Bernard-Docker in the AJHL, Jonny Tychonick (and what a cool fucking name) ranked 3rd in the BCHL for defensemen scoring, and the two players ahead of him were a year or two older. Models his game after Duncan Keith. Also a player who won a BCHL championship with Penticton.
        Last edited by matchesmalone; 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Sens use #48 to draft Johnny Tychonick, a LH puck moving defenseman who is friends with Bernard-Docker and also going to
          UND

Comment

Montreal and Ottawa fuck up, big surprise, wow.
            Kot moved up to 5th in the rankings (and who didn't see this coming back when we won the lottery, honestly?) pre-draft. Hayton to ARZ was a reach, but it shows how valuable centers are.

Comment

From my early analysis, I'm most impressed by the Islanders and Red Wings from this draft. Both teams landed several significant pieces for the future.

Comment

Best drafts overall:

Canadiens
                Red Wings
                Islanders

Worst drafts overall:

Predators
                Lightning
                Flames

Comment

Personally, I’m really happy with the Sens draft. Tkachuk really excites me, especially coming from a hockey family with his dad involved. He’s not going to let the Sens rush him.

The two defensemen they took in late round one and round two seem promising and are going to a great program.

Comment

Personally, I’m really happy with the Sens draft. Tkachuk really excites me, especially coming from a hockey family with his dad involved. He’s not going to let the Sens rush him.

The two defensemen they took in late round one and round two seem promising and are going to a great program.
                    Agreed. How can we be disappointed with a kid who scored 31 points in 40 games in NCAA as a draft-aged freshman? The line on Tkachuk according to management is that, yes, he has skill, but more importantly, character, competetiveness, size, grit, fire. Probably my biggest concern is a possible lack of finish; just 8 of his 31 points this year were goals. And a similar pattern applies to most of his seasons and leagues/tournaments. But, as management pointed out, of the goals he does score, most are in the dirty areas around the net - the kind that translate to the NHL, and that the Sens so badly need.

I also like the rest of the draft for the Sens, or at least certainly find it interesting. Of their 8 players chosen, I believe only one - the goalie - is coming out of the CHL. The rest are college, minor junior, USHS, USDP. I won't go into the implications of that at the moment. Just found it odd.

And how the hell did we get a kid who was 4th on the USDP team in scoring - and who finished the season on the top line with Jack Hughes and Wahlstrom - in the 4th round? And how is nobody talking about this?

Oh and I can't forget to mention, two of the sickest names in the draft, Jonny Tychonick and Angus Crookshank.
                    Last edited by matchesmalone; 06-24-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The more I see, hear and read about Brady Tkachuk, the more excited I get. Has the potential to be one of the most unique players in the league, and it doesn't come at a sacrifice for offence. Plus, his commitment, work ethic, determination, competitiveness and family all make me pretty confident the Sens are going to at least get a 55-60 point guy.

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post

Agreed. How can we be disappointed with a kid who scored 31 points in 40 games in NCAA as a draft-aged freshman? The line on Tkachuk according to management is that, yes, he has skill, but more importantly, character, competetiveness, size, grit, fire. Probably my biggest concern is a possible lack of finish; just 8 of his 31 points this year were goals. And a similar pattern applies to most of his seasons and leagues/tournaments. But, as management pointed out, of the goals he does score, most are in the dirty areas around the net - the kind that translate to the NHL, and that the Sens so badly need.

I also like the rest of the draft for the Sens, or at least certainly find it interesting. Of their 8 players chosen, I believe only one - the goalie - is coming out of the CHL. The rest are college, minor junior, USHS, USDP. I won't go into the implications of that at the moment. Just found it odd.

And how the hell did we get a kid who was 4th on the USDP team in scoring - and who finished the season on the top line with Jack Hughes and Wahlstrom - in the 4th round? And how is nobody talking about this?

Oh and I can't forget to mention, two of the sickest names in the draft, Jonny Tychonick and Angus Crookshank.
                      Interestingly enough, the Sens haven't drafted out of NA in two years, I believe. Considering they used to go Swede-crazy, that's notable, to me.

Comment

OK, here's my longer analysis.

Best Drafts

New York Islanders - The Islanders may have received the highest share of elite talent in the draft. Their first three picks - Oliver Wahlstrom, Noah Dobson, and Bode Wilde - were all in my top-15 and all fell further than I expected. The Islanders lucked out being able to take them when they did (especially in the case of Wilde at #41). Wahlstrom led the U.S. National U18 Team in points and was a solid 18 points above the next guy, while Wilde led their defensemen by a margin of 10 points. Dobson was tied for 1st in QMJHL scoring among all draft-age defensemen and they were 22 points ahead. New York also picked up Blade Jenkins who I think has solid NHL potential.

Detroit Red Wings - The Wings stole Filip Zadina at 6th overall. I don't know how many Wings fans thought that might happen, but it certainly surprised me. Then they managed to snag Joseph Veleno, Jared McIssac, and Jonatan Berggren. Veleno was 2nd only to Zadina himself in QMJHL points among draft-age players and is a brilliant set up man. McIsaac was 3rd in QMJHL points among draft-age defensemen, and Berggren led the entire Swedish SuperElit (J20) league in points at only 17 years old.

Montreal Canadiens - While the Canadiens came up shorter on elite talent, they drafted a wealth of promising prospects. Of the 130 players I listed prior to the draft, Montreal selected the most, taking 9 players on my list. Only one other team - the Rangers - selected more than 4. I wasn't fond of the use of the 3rd overall pick on Jesperi Kotkaniemi, but he's definitely talented. And then Montreal certainly made up for it later, selecting Allan McShane, Cameron Hillis, Jacob Olofsson, Jesse Ylonen, Alexander Romanov, Cole Fonstad, Jack Gorniak, and Jordan Harris. It wouldn't surprise me to see all nine of those players on the Habs in a few years. This could be a draft that defines their future. Olofsson led the Swedish Allsvenskan in points among all draft-age players, Ylonen did the same in the Finnish Metis, Gorniak led Minnesota state in the US High School league, and Fonstad scored 4th among draft-age WHL players.

Worst Drafts

Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, Tampa Bay Lightning, Calgary Flames

Comment

Excited about Kotkaniemi (even though I think the pick should have been used on Zadina or a defenseman), McShane, Hillis, Olofsson, Ylonen and Fonstad. Hadn't heard of Romanov but have seen people say if he were in NA, he would have been a top-10 talent or something? I dunno, he fits the current day NHL from what I know though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
                            Excited about Kotkaniemi (even though I think the pick should have been used on Zadina or a defenseman), McShane, Hillis, Olofsson, Ylonen and Fonstad. Hadn't heard of Romanov but have seen people say if he were in NA, he would have been a top-10 talent or something? I dunno, he fits the current day NHL from what I know though.
                            I really think Gorniak will be good too.

Comment

they can all be good as long as it's topped off with a Jack Hughes next summer after a Bergevin firing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Ambrose View Post
                                they can all be good as long as it's topped off with a Jack Hughes next summer after a Bergevin firing.
                                Pretty sure Colorado's got Hughes all but locked up

I'm all about Alexis Lafreniere in 2020 though.

Comment

Working...
                                X