Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo Switch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nintendo Switch

    Looks pretty awesome: https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI

  • #2
    That does look cool. Interested to see the pricing on this.

    My one question: where do you put the game in? Is it the thing on his table in the beginning of the video? In that case, how is he playing on an airplane/car without it? Or perhaps all the games are digital?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
      That does look cool. Interested to see the pricing on this.

      My one question: where do you put the game in? Is it the thing on his table in the beginning of the video? In that case, how is he playing on an airplane/car without it? Or perhaps all the games are digital?
      Many games are digital but there are also cartridges. You can see one around 0:53. Pricing is estimated to start around $300.

      I can't wait for Breath of The Wild. What I might be even more excited about is one of the games displayed in that announcement trailer - it looks a lot like a Mario 64 sequel which I've been waiting SO long for!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Josh View Post

        Many games are digital but there are also cartridges. You can see one around 0:53. Pricing is estimated to start around $300.

        I can't wait for Breath of The Wild. What I might be even more excited about is one of the games displayed in that announcement trailer - it looks a lot like a Mario 64 sequel which I've been waiting SO long for!
        Oh, interesting. I didn't pick up on the cartridges. That's awesome.

        Unfortunately, I'm not sure $300 will be cheap enough to interest me. I was hoping they would be around $250, although I might consider it if it came with a game. To me, Nintendo's competitive advantage over Sony and Microsoft is that they offer cheap products that are relatively easy to play. $300 when you can still get a PS4 or Xbox One for ~$50 more.

        I picked up a 3DS for $160 years ago and that's been a great purchase. Instead of paying $90 for a game, you're getting great games for $40-$50. The only knock I've had to date was today when I found out Super Mario World for the Virual Console was only available for the newest 3DS model.

        Speaking of Nintendo, Josh, do you play Pokemon Go?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post

          Oh, interesting. I didn't pick up on the cartridges. That's awesome.

          Unfortunately, I'm not sure $300 will be cheap enough to interest me. I was hoping they would be around $250, although I might consider it if it came with a game. To me, Nintendo's competitive advantage over Sony and Microsoft is that they offer cheap products that are relatively easy to play. $300 when you can still get a PS4 or Xbox One for ~$50 more.

          I picked up a 3DS for $160 years ago and that's been a great purchase. Instead of paying $90 for a game, you're getting great games for $40-$50. The only knock I've had to date was today when I found out Super Mario World for the Virual Console was only available for the newest 3DS model.

          Speaking of Nintendo, Josh, do you play Pokemon Go?
          Yeah, the 3DS was a great investment and had true premium titles from all of my favourite Nintendo franchises except one - Metroid. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES may be my favourite game of all-time, so getting A Link Between Worlds on 3DS was a huge treat. It was an amazing sequel. As for Metroid, we've been waiting for a new premium title since Other M on the Wii, so not having one for 3DS wasn't really shocking or a real disappointment.

          I played Pokemon Go for the first few months, but the colleague I played most with found another job, and there aren't any stops or gyms near my place. Playing became frustrating because I was always catching the same (usually low-level) Pokemon. Have there been any game-changing updates since the original release? Does tracking work now?

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow, that has so many cool features! I had no idea Nintendo were planning anything like this...I'm so out of the loop these days.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Josh View Post

              Yeah, the 3DS was a great investment and had true premium titles from all of my favourite Nintendo franchises except one - Metroid. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES may be my favourite game of all-time, so getting A Link Between Worlds on 3DS was a huge treat. It was an amazing sequel. As for Metroid, we've been waiting for a new premium title since Other M on the Wii, so not having one for 3DS wasn't really shocking or a real disappointment.

              I played Pokemon Go for the first few months, but the colleague I played most with found another job, and there aren't any stops or gyms near my place. Playing became frustrating because I was always catching the same (usually low-level) Pokemon. Have there been any game-changing updates since the original release? Does tracking work now?
              The tracking has actually gotten worse, somehow. They removed the footsteps so you have no idea where the Pokemon is. Plus, they shut down tracking websites so there's no way of knowing at all.

              In terms of features, I don't think they've really brought in any. Just a buddy system where walking not only hatches your eggs, but gives candy to a Pokemon of your choice.

              The game definitely died down completely, but apparently still makes Niantic around $2M a day.

              Comment


              • #8
                The big thing is going to be what games are going to be on the Switch? I'd need to see a good Metroid title. I'd also really like to see this get some proper sports titles, because I think having something like NHL or Madden on it in handheld mode would be pretty sweet.

                If it's just going to be a $300-$400 gadget to play the newest version of Mario Kart, I can live without it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob View Post
                  The big thing is going to be what games are going to be on the Switch? I'd need to see a good Metroid title. I'd also really like to see this get some proper sports titles, because I think having something like NHL or Madden on it in handheld mode would be pretty sweet.

                  If it's just going to be a $300-$400 gadget to play the newest version of Mario Kart, I can live without it.
                  Firstly, welcome to the forum! :)

                  But yes, in the video itself they showed 4 people playing 2 on 2 basketball, on 2 separate screens. That's a really cool concept if they can get that working with a decent sports title. That was honestly what had me the most excited about it. Playing sports games online just isn't the same as having people right there.

                  Fully agree that the content library is going to be key. Nostalgic Nintendo property (Mario, Metroid, Zelda) will only get them so far.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob View Post
                    The big thing is going to be what games are going to be on the Switch? I'd need to see a good Metroid title. I'd also really like to see this get some proper sports titles, because I think having something like NHL or Madden on it in handheld mode would be pretty sweet.

                    If it's just going to be a $300-$400 gadget to play the newest version of Mario Kart, I can live without it.
                    Welcome to the forum Rob! Agreed, Metroid is a must. Third party support will be key which is why I was really happy to see that NBA game and.. SKYRIM! If Nintendo gets full support.. the sky's the limit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post

                      Firstly, welcome to the forum! :)

                      (SNIP)

                      Fully agree that the content library is going to be key. Nostalgic Nintendo property (Mario, Metroid, Zelda) will only get them so far.
                      Thanks for the welcome.

                      I agree that nostalgia won't keep this one afloat, although a proper modern sequel to Metroid or Castlevania could be huge for Nintendo. What it absolutely can't be is another "Mario" device.

                      As for Skyrim, I think it could hurt the device by showcasing a game that's now 5 years old, especially since Nintendo already has a reputation for having underpowered hardware.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob View Post

                        Thanks for the welcome.

                        I agree that nostalgia won't keep this one afloat, although a proper modern sequel to Metroid or Castlevania could be huge for Nintendo. What it absolutely can't be is another "Mario" device.

                        As for Skyrim, I think it could hurt the device by showcasing a game that's now 5 years old, especially since Nintendo already has a reputation for having underpowered hardware.
                        I see your point. My hope is that they were only showcasing it to demonstrate increased support from third-party developers. If Bethesda is on board, that's a great sign.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Josh View Post

                          I see your point. My hope is that they were only showcasing it to demonstrate increased support from third-party developers. If Bethesda is on board, that's a great sign.
                          No doubt. Having a Triple A title (esp. an exclusive) land on the Switch would be a major deal, especially if the new Zelda title is as good as it looks, and a proper Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night sequel is released.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob View Post
                            The big thing is going to be what games are going to be on the Switch? I'd need to see a good Metroid title. I'd also really like to see this get some proper sports titles, because I think having something like NHL or Madden on it in handheld mode would be pretty sweet.

                            If it's just going to be a $300-$400 gadget to play the newest version of Mario Kart, I can live without it.
                            This is how I look at things, too. Although they're older consoles, the direct competitor for the Nintendo Switch is the PS4 and Xbox One. If they want to price it similar to those consoles, I think it will fail with just releasing Nintendo-sequel games.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have a Wii U and I have 20 games for the Wii U. If nintendo does nothing for me a previous Gen. owner with their next console. I will not buy the console. I don't care. First party games are cool but they are not worth my continued support if they do not care for me. PS4 has some great games. Wii U has great games. First party matters most, I hate you nintendo if you don't care that I love your content...

                              My Money is MINE! Earn it.

                              RANT OVER.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X