Penalties for Unsuccessful Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalties for Unsuccessful Challenges

the NHL is looking into giving teams who lose a coach's challenge a penalty instead of losing a timeout

I don't mind the idea in principle, but here's the thing: the NHL absolutely blows a lot of challenges. It seems like most offsides ones come back as inconclusive, and what even is goaltender interference?

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
      I don't mind the idea in principle, but here's the thing: the NHL absolutely blows a lot of challenges. It seems like most offsides ones come back as inconclusive, and what even is goaltender interference?
      I agree with this. If they could nail down the actual calls then it could be a good idea, but not at this point.

Comment

This is a terrible idea.

Why should a team be penalized for trying to call out refs who often do get things wrong, only for something to be "inconclusive" and then sit through a penalty kill?

Look, hockey is fast paced. It's surely why we all love the game so much. There will be mistakes. Why should we discourage challenges? If anything, the NHL should be working on better process/quicker challenges, better camera angles and above all else, BETTER CONSISTENCY IN PENALTY CALLING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie View Post
          This is a terrible idea.

Why should a team be penalized for trying to call out refs who often do get things wrong, only for something to be "inconclusive" and then sit through a penalty kill?

Look, hockey is fast paced. It's surely why we all love the game so much. There will be mistakes. Why should we discourage challenges? If anything, the NHL should be working on better process/quicker challenges, better camera angles and above all else, BETTER CONSISTENCY IN PENALTY CALLING!!!
          Honestly, by now, the offside and goal lines should all be digitalized/equipped with laser detection/whatever you need to do to make the calls CONCLUSIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Honestly, by now, the offside and goal lines should all be digitalized/equipped with laser detection/whatever you need to do to make the calls CONCLUSIVE.
            I've often thought of this. In 2017, we have the technology to set off the goal light when the puck crosses the goal line or the blue line.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post

I've often thought of this. In 2017, we have the technology to set off the goal light when the puck crosses the goal line or the blue line.
              Same technology that they use in tennis to determine whether the serve is out or not, could easily determine if a puck completely crosses a line or not surely?

Comment

Working...
              X