Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Sens trade to acquire Duchene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alfie11 View Post
    Ceci’s value to the team at this point is basically that he’s a right-handed shot. However, with Jaroš turning heads, does that make Ceci expendable? A big, right-handed shot who seems to be able to get the job done at both ends of the rink.

Left shots: Phaneuf, Chabot, Claesson, Boro, Oduya
    Right shots: Karlsson, Ceci, Wideman, Jaroš
    Ceci is good not great. He will most likely get passed by Chabot if not this season by next. As a RFA he will be probably be getting around 4 on his next contract. His next raise will get him on the next bus out of Ottawa and he will be replaced by an exact caliber type player who will make under 2 mill for the next 5 seasons. Now is the time to move him unless you want a 4 million dollar shut down D whci Boucher said is the reasonhe plays against the other teams best lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Stylizer View Post

Ceci is good not great. He will most likely get passed by Chabot if not this season by next. As a RFA he will be probably be getting around 4 on his next contract. His next raise will get him on the next bus out of Ottawa and he will be replaced by an exact caliber type player who will make under 2 mill for the next 5 seasons. Now is the time to move him unless you want a 4 million dollar shut down D whci Boucher said is the reasonhe plays against the other teams best lines.
      As I said, Ceci's value lies in his right-handed shot. The organization is pretty shallow when it comes to that. You have Jaros coming up, but that's about it. Wideman is a decent option, but he's turning 28 this season. He likely won't ever amount to anything better than a 25-point guy in the right circumstances, and nothing better than a bottom pairing defenseman.

I'd move one of Ceci or White for Duchene, but not both. Sakic seems to be asking for the moon, though, which I'm hoping Ottawa doesn't even consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        I'm not sure the Sens even should target him. Turris and Brassard make a great 1-2 punch at centre, and Duchene isn't very clearly ahead of them. None of them are third line centres, so where would you play them? I'd prefer to go after Landeskog personally.
        I would more or less agree with this.

BUT... aside from maybe Ryan, we don't really have a gamebreaker at forward. Tough to win a Cup without players like that. When it gets to the last two rounds of the playoffs when every team is packed with quality players - look at the depth of the Pens and Preds last year for Chrissake - and there's no space to make plays, it's those guys like Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, who can make something out of nothing and change a game. Before McDavid came along and, the best centers in the league at exploding through the middle of the ice into the offensive zone were, in order, Crosby, Seguin, Duchene. Would have been nice to have had a player like that in overtime of game seven against the Pens last year...

To clarify, this isn't me saying I think Duchene is much better than Turris or Brassard, just that he is he brings a different element, which could be very helpful in our quest to win a Cup. I wouldn't worry too much about the positional thing; I just watched a bunch of Duchene's career highlights, and he scores a ton of goals off the rush coming down his off wing as well, and I'd be really interested to see Duchene on the right side of a line with Hoffman and Turris. Or even the left side on a line opposite of Ryan. Also, I'd wanna go with the checking line of Smith-Pageau-Stone, and Nate Thompson is only gonna play 6-8 mins per game ES between Pyatt and Burrows, so occasionally one of Smith or Pageau could move down to take Thompson's place and Duchene could double shift on that line with Stone, suddenly turning it into scoring line that could rival most in the league. The Sens are already a really good three line team, but adding Duchene gives us matchup possibilities that could equal Pittsburgh's Crosby-Malkin-Kessel three line approach. Honestly, I think the Sens can beat any other team in the league in a seven game playoffs series, except Pittsburgh, who we took to double OT in game seven. Kessel was that one extra thing that put Pittsburgh over the top, and Duchene could be that one extra thing that gives us the edge over them.

I think now is thetime to do everything possible to make a run for the Cup, so I'd be willing to go as high as Ceci plus one of Logan Brown or Colin White or a first round pick. I imagine Colorado would be asking for Ceci, Brown/White and a first. I wouldn't do that - but then again if we're midway through the season and Duchene is looking in top form and the Sens are looking like a legit Cup contender......

Comment

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post

I think now is the time to do everything possible to make a run for the Cup, so I'd be willing to go as high as Ceci plus one of Logan Brown or Colin White or a first round pick. I imagine Colorado would be asking for Ceci, Brown/White and a first. I wouldn't do that - but then again if we're midway through the season and Duchene is looking in top form and the Sens are looking like a legit Cup contender......
          This I agree with.

The outside opinion of this Sens team is exceedingly low, especially when we were 1 goal in double OT away from a Cup final. Yes we got a favourable first round match-up, but last I checked the format of these playoffs hasn't changed? And then we beat the team we would have come up against anyway in round 2. I personally believe we are going to make the playoffs again. Why not go for it if the price is right?

Comment

I agree with you both that it's our time to strike. I probably wouldn't drop two big pieces (Ceci, White, Brown, 1st), though.

Comment

I think this injury to Karlsson is really going to make or break the Sens early on. First he's definitely back "sometime in October", then Dorion on Tuesday mentioned "before Christmas" and Karlsson himself yesterday said half his ankle bone is removed and it feels like it was replaced by a "leather" piece.

Red flags are raised for me. If Karlsson is out I doubt we pull any kind of trigger on a Duchene trade that involves any defender. And I'm also seriously concerned about what happens to the team as a whole.

Comment

Working...
              X