No announcement yet.

General Sens Talk - Part III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for Dorion, I wasn't happy with the hire. That said, it's hard to judge most of his moves. Many of them are terrible from a purely hockey standpoint. But I don't think his mandate was icing a competitive team. It was icing as competitive a team as possible while saving the owner as much money as possible. With an emphasis on the saving money bit. To that end, he's done his job quite well. I think he very well could end up somewhere else in a GM gig, especially for another hands-on owner.

Comment

• Yeah I agree, Josh. Dorion's performance metrics in his meetings with Melnyk are simply different than the fan's. If I'm Melnyk I'm happy with Dorion, and even if not, there's no money to replace him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
        As for Dorion, I wasn't happy with the hire. That said, it's hard to judge most of his moves. Many of them are terrible from a purely hockey standpoint. But I don't think his mandate was icing a competitive team. It was icing as competitive a team as possible while saving the owner as much money as possible. With an emphasis on the saving money bit. To that end, he's done his job quite well. I think he very well could end up somewhere else in a GM gig, especially for another hands-on owner.
        Hm. Interesting point. Maybe not even necessarily a hands-on owners, but an ownership group with a budget might see what he's doing in Ottawa and want to give him a chance, especially if they're starting a rebuild.

Comment

• So Borocop foiled a robbery in Vancouver:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...mpression=true

Comment

• What a wild story. Cool to hear Boro telling the story himself. He let the guy go though!

Comment

• Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
              What a wild story. Cool to hear Boro telling the story himself. He let the guy go though!
              Yeah, that part does suck.

Comment

• If there are two Sens I've been disappointed in this season, they are Erik Brannstrom and Colin White. Brannstrom much less so, this being his rookie season and playing defense, but I did hope to see more. There's still a long way to go though, and I'm confident he's going to be a real good player.

White is a different story though. I was never high on him, but everyone else seemed to stick by his potential so I held out hope too. I've missed the past few games and he's had a third of his total offensive production this season come in the past 4 games, so maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Comment

• Yeah White has been seriously disappointing. I've been hopeful about him but starting to get worried. The analytics don't suggest much reason for optimism: he's been one of the most sheltered of the Sens' regular forwards, and isn't creating much for scoring chances.

I was hoping Brännström would spend a good chunk of the year in the AHL and am not pleased with the way he's been handled this season. That said, while the offensive production hasn't been there, I've liked a lot about what I've seen from him.

Comment

• The Montreal Canadiens have traded defenceman Mike Reilly to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a 2021 fifth-round pick and forward Andrew Sturtz. - TSN

Comment

• Originally posted by Jasmine View Post
                      The Montreal Canadiens have traded defenceman Mike Reilly to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a 2021 fifth-round pick and forward Andrew Sturtz. - TSN
                      Solid move. Reilly has another season left on his contract after this year, and is certainly a more serviceable player than Sturtz.

Comment

• Yeah I dunno. Don't know much about this Reilly. His stats in every league besides the NHL have been respectable.

But I'm sceptical. 26 and he's getting close to that make or break 200 game mark where a player should find his way as an NHL player if he's going to. His analytics aren't bad on the surface, but he's been by far the most sheltered Canadiens player this season.

I know it's only a 5th rounder, and not a 2020, so I'm not too worried. It's worth it if it means we can send Brännström down for a while. It's not so much that he has a whole lot more to learn in the AHL, it's that he's just not physically strong enough to defend well at the NHL level. Just from looking at the stats, the problem would seem to be a lack of offense, but for me the reasons behind that have been mostly a lack of ice time and of confidence.

Not sure if the plan is to give Brännström a stint of a couple weeks or months or the rest of the season. The lack of strength won't be able to be addressed so much until the off-season, but a few good weeks playing all situations in Belleville could really help with the confidence. In my estimation, the best case scenario would be to keep him down until close to the trade deadline.

Comment

• I was at the Tampa game, and what I saw from Reilly were good offensive and breakout skills, but total liability in his own zone. It was his first game, but when talking to some Habs fans friends, they said the same things about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            I was at the Tampa game, and what I saw from Reilly were good offensive and breakout skills, but total liability in his own zone. It was his first game, but when talking to some Habs fans friends, they said the same things about him.
                            Ah, yeah that makes sense, considering his decent numbers at lower levels but inability to really stick anywhere in the NHL.

Comment

• De Melo to Winnipeg for a 3rd round pick

Comment

• Meh, I was hoping for more, but at least we get something. His contract could end up being pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X