No announcement yet.

CDCFL San Jose Sharks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K thanks for the input. And apologies, but I like Sanheim better than Kotkaniemi. And I can't move Fabbro without adding another defenseman. We're gonna have Benn and Kukan in our top six pretty soon at this rate. I told him we could do Svechkov plus Fabbro plus one of our cheap depth forwards for Sanheim plus Nylander.

Comment

• Yeah he said he would do it with Nylander if we included two of our depth forwards. I'm having second thoughts though. I did inquire about Kotkaniemi, but he was pretty dead set against moving him. I did some searching around the league. Similar defensemen to Sanheim, such as Hanifin, Pesce, Fowler, Lindholm, Skjei, Slavin are mostly making significantly more.

Comment

• I also offered Fabbro + Svechkov to Detroit for Weegar. Makes more sense for him rebuilding than Severson and the like.

Also could you look into offers to Boston Josh? They're trying to contend too but very open to offers for value. I particularly like Kase, Toffoli and Texier, personally.

Comment

• OK, this just got a little more interesting. I decided to look around and see what other interest there was in Svechkov. The problem with the Calgary deal is that it wasn't a perfect fit. We're both trying to win, so it becomes in part a matter of trying tow in the trade, and predicting value vs value. Of course a rebuilding team would be more interested in Svechkov. I mentioned it to my old pal with New Jersey (who now has Byfield and Hughes leading his rebuild).

Remember my Blackwood for Kuemper idea? Well if Svechkov would have more value to a rebuilding team, then Blackwood would have more value to a team trying to contend that needs a starting goalie. Sure enough, New Jersey has great interest in Svechkov, and we might not even need to include Fabbro. Sounds like he'd do it for Svechkov as the centerpiece plus a couple picks/prospects. We could potentially add Kuemper without losing anything from our NHL roster. And then bolster our NHL roster by moving Blackwood.

Of course this is all contingent on also finding a suitable home for Blackwood. I've identified just a few select targets. Needs to be a team that could contend but is missing a quality starter and doesn't need us to take a goalie back.

Vegas: Does have Jake Oettinger waiting in the wings, so maybe not as urgent need here, but he's set up to win now and the window is closing. My targets would be Mittelstadt, Kerfoot, Balcers, Cal Foote, Kaapo Kahkonen, Ivan Morozov, Jake Oettinger, Daniil Tarasov. Lots of good options.

Tampa: He's banking on Martin Jones as things stand. Alex Killorn, Frank Vatrano, Philipp Kurashev, Shakir Mukhamadullin, Filip Gustavsson. Jonas Johansson,

Dallas: Another tricky one, as he already has Bobrovsky, but only signed for one more year. Just Joey Daccord waiting in the wings. Joe Daccord, Ryan Merkley, Juuso Valimaki (was this the one you were ranting about a while back Josh?), Kasperi Kapanen, Mathieu Joseph, Teuvo Teravainen.

Colorado: Maybe the team most in need. They have Khudobin but on the last year of a contract and nothing at all on the horizon. Kinda limited on realistic assets though. One for one for Buchnevich perhaps? I also like Nikita Zadorov, Alex Iafallo, Jordan Greenway. But not sure they can get it done without Buchnevich.

Boston: Not in a particularly desperate situation, but looks like Ullmark might be losing his starting job to Swayman in real life, and then he has 36 year old Halak. Targets would be Toffoli, Kase, Texier, Montour
          Last edited by matchesmalone; 10-08-2021, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Alright we're down to 2 or 3 legit options if we decide to move Blackwood. Tampa, Colorado, and maybe Boston. Colorado seemed somewhat interested, but not convinced they'd be willing to move Buchnevich. Tampa is the most interesting option to me. They've already offered Gustavsson plus one of Killorn or Vatrano. Think we'd need a little more than that, but the concept is super intriguing to me. I believe Gustavsson will be in Belleville primarily this year. This would give us Kuemper - Smith for this season, and probably Gustavsson replaces Smith as our backup next year, and then hopefully in two or three years he can replace Kuemper as starter. And then we also add a top nine playoff player, plus. He is very hesitant to move Kurashev. More open to Killorn or Vatrano. I guess we should hold out for two of the three plus Gustavsson. Not sure he'll do it but maybe we draw a hard line. I dunno. He does have a few intriguing prospects beyond Mukhamadullin too. He's pretty adamant about not moving Shakir - remember we've attempted before and he reiterated now. Maybe we ask for Bourgault to replace Svechkov.

I know it sounds like I'm pretty convinced that we're doing this, and I kinda am. But I'm intent on only doing it for offers that make sense. I've been clear to all parties that I'm hopeful to make this work, but perfectly happy to stick with Blackwood.

Getting Gustavsson specifically is important also because I think Ottawa is a soon-to-be powerhouse.

Comment

• Forget potential trades for now, we've got some decisions to make on opening night roster.

From the Athletic: "William Eklund has made the team, full stop"

From the San Jose Mercury "If there was any doubt Eklund would be [on the opening night roster] it was erased Saturday night."

Still no news on Gusev.

Apparently Will Borgen is competing with Cholowski for last D spot in Seattle.

Ian Mitchell was expected to be sent to minors until an injury to Caleb Jones likely keeps him up.

Mitchell and Borgen are still waiver eligible. Kukan and Benn of course are not.

Lazar is injured and week to week but players need to n=be officially designated IR IRL to be put on IR in CDC.

Turris, Leivo, Vesey all seem to be on the bubble.

We need rosters in by 11:59 PM PDT tomorrow.

Comment

• Not related to roster decisions but some pretty cool news: Tage Thompson moved to center and led Sabres forwards with over 18 mins their last pre-season game. Also Ryan Hartman has been on Minnesota's second line between Foligno and Greenway.

Bad news is Nicklas Backstrom is expected to miss opening night...

Comment

• Ah, Vesey just got a deal with the Devils.

Turris on waivers.

CBJ waived a couple guys, including Gabriel Carlson and Mikko Lehtonen. Seems like a pretty good chance Kukan is in the top 6 ahead of Harrington and/or Peeke.
                  Last edited by matchesmalone; 10-10-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• I wasn't at all expecting to go to the waiver wire, but with all the injuries up front I am considering it. CDCFL does this thing where before the start of every season (noon today) every waiver-eligible players in minors is put on waivers. There's a few maybe worthwhile names on there for forwards: Sam Lafferty, Michael Dal Colle, Kiefer Sherwood. Claims have to be made by noon tomorrow. We're 11th on waiver priority and as things stand, we would be ahead of other claims on those three players.

Backstrom, Vrana and Lazar out. So far Backstrom and Vrana are IR-eligible. Lazar not listed yet. So assuming that remains the case, here is a possible opening night lineup:

Bjorkstrand - Barkov - DeBrincat
                    Eklund - Hartman - Brown
                    Foligno - Thompson - Gagner
                    Leivo - Turris - Vesey
                    Lazar

Toews - Severson
                    Goligoski - Walker
                    Mitchell - Fabbro
                    Kukan, Benn

Blackwood
                    Smith

Comment

• Oh man. Trade talks are heating up. On Kuemper I am offering Svechkov plus a 3rd and 4th. On Blackwood I had really good talks with Tampa tonight. He essentially agreed to Blackwood plus Thompson for Gustavsson, Vatrano, Killorn. We discussed some other options too, like Blackwood for Gustavsson + Killorn, or Blackwood for Gustavsson plus Vatrano plus another piece (maybe Gaudette or Marchment?).

Edit: just realized the Killorn/Vatrano deal would put us way over the cap when Vrana returns.
                      Last edited by matchesmalone; 10-11-2021, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Well we claimed Kurtis MacDermid.

And my Kuemper deal fell through. Maybe revisit later in the season.

Comment

• San Jose Sharks opening lineup:

Bjorkstrand - Barkov - DeBrincat
                          Eklund - Hartman - Brown
                          Foligno - Thompson - Gagner
                          Leivo - Turris - Vesey
                          Gusev (DTD)

Goligoski - Walker
                          Benn - Fabbro
                          Mitchell - Kukan
                          MacDermid
                          Severson (DTD)

Blackwood
                          Smith

IR: Vrana, Backstrom, Toews, Lazar

San Jose Barracuda:

Steeves - Chmelevski - Calverley
                          Turunen - Somppi - Jarventie
                          Voronkov - Elynuik - McCartney

Borgen - Durzi
                          Rauhauser - Walsh
                          Green

Vejmelka
                          Bilyalov
                          Shepard

Allen Americans:

Arvid Soderblom
                          Jesper Eliasson

Returned to juniors:

Brandt Clarke
                          Colten Ellis
                          Ethan Haider

Comment

• Thank goodness we didn't trade the 2022 first. Backstrom and Vrana both out long term could be devastating. Really hoping this isn't something that will continue to hamper Backstrom beyond this stint on LTIR. Says surgery is not an option as he's already had it done a few years ago, and it's now just wear and tear.

The nice thing is, we set things up pretty well to go both ways, depending how the season plays out. We have some pieces to make a push if plausible, but if we're out of the race near deadline we have Smith, Goligoski and maybe Foligno to flip.

Comment

• Gusev released. Returns to SKA. Severson to IR. Recall Will Borgen.

Comment

• Brandt Clarke returns form mono to record two assists in his season debut in Barrie's third game of the season.

Rough start to the season for Svechkov. Was never able to gain traction with SKA. Went down to VHL Neva, which is nearly undefeated this season - they're practically a KHL team, and so Svechkov is playing 3rd and 4th line, and he's not even playing center.

Owen Pederson tied for the WHL scoring lead with 8 points in 4 games. I guess I'll give him a contract.

Really excited to see what Vejmelka does this year. 8 goals against Hutton first game is interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X