No announcement yet.

CDCFL San Jose Sharks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK so if I'm clear, we'll have picks 1, 24, 41, 61, 133. 139. Two in the first, two in the second, two in the fifth.

Thinking I would like to go with the strategy of picking one goalie every draft, generally in the late rounds, so that might be a good option for one of the 5ths.

Plenty of options for pick 24: use it if someone we really like slides, use pick 41 to trade up. How high would the move need to be to be worth pick 41? 17? 18? And then of course I'd be open to packaging the pick for a young defenseman.

Comment

Oh boy. Sounds like the Kraken expect to have their list in by tomorrow. And we go on the clock as soon as it is posted. 24 hours to pick for the first few picks, and time decreases from there.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/3975...-2021-edition/

Comment

We will be on the clock by around 7:30 PST I believe.

What's our interest level in Kasperi Kapanen?

Comment

Never mind, Kapanen already moved for a weird package.

Anyway, I'll be keeping this on hand when negotiating trades a the draft:

https://forum.highonhockey.com/node/27599

Comment

Made offers on Gagner (1x0.95), Vesey (2x1.05) and Sean Walker (3x2.5).

Trying to pinpoint some targets for picks 24 and 41. Would consider trading up a few spots for an Othmann, Coronato or Cossa, but doubt I'd move 41 to do it. Would have to be 61, and that's not likely gonna get me far. Liking Brent Johnson, Ville Koivunen, Aleksi Heimosalmi, Isak Rosen, Matt Samoskevich.

Absolutely love what little I've seen from Samoskevich, but tough to understand his mediocre offensive production as an 18 year old. Chicago is a hell of a team, but at 18 he should be able to be near the top of the lineup. Gonna look back at his and Coronato's shift by shifts and tr to figure out who is playing where and who he's stuck behind.

Not sure how to handle Heimosalmi. I have him way higher than the consensus after his U18s. Very limited viewings so not sure I'm confident enough to actually take him at 24, but would hate to risk waiting for 41 and missing out. Skimming the two Finland U18 games on Youtube right now, but it's tricky cus Heimosalmi and Koivunen are on the ice together an awful lot. I almost have to watch each shift twice.

Comment

Now that we're beyond the first few, where we're looking more purely at top end talent, we can start thinking more of just percentages to get an NHL player. We now have picks 24 (47.5 or 39.77% range), 34 (25 or 26.875% range) and 41. (28.75 or 26.875%). Not actually gonna treat 41 as more valuable than 34, but pretty damn near the same

Comment

I’ve only really checked out Johnson and Rosen so far, I’d be happy with either or both in that range. After 41, we might as well trade all of our picks for more established prospects, IMO.

Comment

The thing with that is after 41 I don't think we have any picks until the two 5ths. Can't imagine how much trade value those will have. Might just use them both on goalies.

Hmmmm. Starting to realize the cost to trade up in this league (or at least this year's draft) is insanely low. With some of the stockpiles of 2nd and 3rd rounders certain teams have I thought there'd be some wild bidding wars, but not the case at all. If Svechkov or Sillinger are still around by 15 or so I have to make a push.

Comment

On closer viewings of Finland's U18 games, Koivunen was even better than Heimosalmi. Heimosalmi has those moments where he looks like a future superstar, but lots of little mistakes and flaws

I need to try to figure out why Koivunen is ranked so low all over the place. He looks like an absolute homerun. Skating and shot might be the issues, but his hockey IQ is right there with any of the top players in the draft.

Comment

Holy shit. My eyes are not deceiving me. Look at some of the analytics on Koivunen.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...1-5v5/Scatters

Also note that Lambos is an absolute beast in his own zone, as we're already well aware.

Comment

K well that was the first time I've read through a full report from Smaht Scouting. Actually very well done. Gives me a bit better idea of the full situation with Koivunen. Skating is definitely the main concern for me. 24 might be a stretch, but no way I wanna let him fall past 34.

Now the trick is can I have my cake and eat it too? How to trade up from 24 to get one of Svechkov or Sillinger, but without giving up 34. 24 + 41 doesn't seem to be enough to get it done. But lets see what I can do.

Comment

Alright so looks like we're done with the draft. We were only missing our 2021 5th going in. Aside from the picks in this year's draft

Out:
                          Quinton Byfield
                          Oliver Wahlstrom
                          2023 5th
                          2023 3rd

In:
                          Dante Fabbro
                          Dmitry Voronkov
                          William Eklund
                          Brandt Clarke
                          Fyodor Svechkov
                          Ville Koivunen
                          Tristan Lennox

Add that haul of prospects to Durzi, Foerster, Chmelevski, and the cupboard isn't exactly loaded, but it's starting to fill out.

Comment

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post
                            K well that was the first time I've read through a full report from Smaht Scouting. Actually very well done. Gives me a bit better idea of the full situation with Koivunen. Skating is definitely the main concern for me. 24 might be a stretch, but no way I wanna let him fall past 34.

Now the trick is can I have my cake and eat it too? How to trade up from 24 to get one of Svechkov or Sillinger, but without giving up 34. 24 + 41 doesn't seem to be enough to get it done. But lets see what I can do.
                            Worked out perfectly anyway. I did use 34 to move up and get Svechkov, but still got Koivunen at 43. Beauty.

Comment

I went back and looked at my iitial post on Lennox, suggesting he could be even better than Wallstedt (gulp). But was reminded that he played on the world stage at U13, U14, U15 (twice), U17 and Hlinkas. Cossa looks to be really tough to beat out, and Garand already played last year, but that experience could give him an inside track to represent Canada at World Juniors.

I'm really, really starting to like Smaht Scoutings, and they had Lennox 52. McKenzie had him 71. I was in discussions for pick 90, but waited and when he was still there at 98, I just had to take a swing on this one. If he had played this year, who knows, he might have emerged as a second rounder.

Comment

2021 Free Agent Targets - Negotiation Starting Points

Forwards (1 only)
                                #1 - Nicklas Backstrom | 3-4x $7-8M
                                #2 -Paul Stastny | 1x $4.5-5.5M

Defensemen (2 only)
                                #1 - Charlie McAvoy | 5-7x $7-8M
                                #2 - Jared Spurgeon | 3-5x $7-8M
                                #3 - Mike Reilly | 5-6x $3-4M
                                #4 - Tyler Myers | 3-4x $5-6M
                                #5 - Alex Goligoski | 1x $5-6M
                                #6 - Justin Holl | 3-4x $2.5-3.5M
                                #7 - Jacob Trouba | 5-7x $4.5-5.5M

Goaltenders (1 only)