Best possible roster under $57M?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best possible roster under $57M?

^^^ I like your plan a lot matches. Hoping for something similar.

As much as I like him, I don't see how we're gonna need Phillips for 2 more years. When we got rid of Volchenkov it hurt, but his play in NJ has proven that to be the correct decision.

Comment

I like your lineup as well, Matches. Unfortunately, I can't see Phillips getting dealt. He's a good person and has given a lot to the team, but he's old, slow and his decision making has lost a step. He provides leadership and experience but that's about it at this point. I think he was more of a liability than an asset with his play last year, and there's still two more years to go. I can't see a team, other than a contender when he's on the final year of his deal, preferring him over a rookie defenseman with an ELC.

As Matt said, letting Volchenkov go was actually a great decision by Murray. He wanted way too much for his role. He was an above average defensive defenseman, but he wasn't close to the best in the NHL. He could block a lot of shots and hit, but there's a lot more to defense than that. Plus his style leads him to wear down sooner rather than later.

Comment

You're probably right Alfie, trading Phillips would be a terrible PR move, and while I think he does still have value, it would probably be more of a deadline day move, to a young playoff team in need of experience on the back end. Maybe Borowiecki or Gryba would be more appealing to Tim Murray and the Sabres. I'd prefer not to move Wiercioch if at all possible. A lot of weaknesses in his game nihjt.now but the potential upside is too intriguing. Of Buffalo's trio of young stud defensemen - Jake McCabe, Ristolainen and Zadorov - only maybe Ristolainen is NHL-ready, and I wouldn't be surprised if all three stay in the AHL. With McDavid/Eichel the prize, one more year of talking might be the best possible plan for the Sabres. If this is indeed the case, Gryba/Borowiecki would be a good fill-in for the meanwhile and provid some more of that grit and toughness every rebuilding team needs to keep up fan and team morale, and Stone would help accelerate the rebuild as he's ready to step in this year and should be a top six forward within three years.

Comment

It appears the Sens offered Hemsky 3 years $10M (per Bob McKenzie), while Hemsky wanted $5.5M. I don't believe we found out the term Hemsky wanted...probably four years. But that's a huge difference, no wonder the talks just broke off. McKenzie says we might trade him for a pick.

Comment

Where would you price Hemsky? I'm thinking 4, maybe 4.5?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie
              Where would you price Hemsky? I'm thinking 4, maybe 4.5?
              Yeah, probably $4M-$4.25M. Injury history plus he hasn't put up over 50 points since 2008-09. He looked good in a 20 game sample size but I've seen others do the same and not play well.

Comment

If Spezza's gone who cares? The whole purpose of Hemsky was to find a skilled winger to play with Spez. Would've been interesting to see what they could have done with a full year together, but I wouldn't re-sign him now, not for that price anyway.

To me, it legit looks like 3 of our top 6 forwards will not be returning. Will be interesting to see what Murray does this summer. But one thing is for certain, he can't sit pretty. Moves need to be made. Big ones. Bonino, Palmieri, Stewart, Moulson, Brouwer, Vrbata, Hornqvist, Craig Smith, Boedker, Brian Campbell and Dan Boyle should be primary targets.

Reminds you a little of Montreal a couple years ago when they cleaned house and signed a bunch of bug money free agents. Except I'm hoping we do most of ours by trade rather than free agency. We have Spezza plus a bunch of good assets, most notably Stone, iff the right player became available. One free agent will probably be necessary. If so, let it be Moulson, Vrbata or Boyle.

Comment

If Murray expects young players to fill the void, I think we're in for a long season. I'm not saying MacDavid bad, of course, but not too great of a year. The only reason we won some games last year is because we out-scored our problems, which is our defense. I don't expect it to be a whole lot different, unless Phillips becomes wine and Cowen has a huge bounce back year, and Methot gets back to how he was his first year here.

The 10 teams Spezza has on his list are leaking out. Unfortunately, Toronto and Montreal are not on the list. Why do I say unfortunately? Because, it would eliminate two teams he wasn't getting traded to in the first place...Spezza was smart about that. He doesn't want to go to Montreal or Toronto or anywhere else in Canada for that matter.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, New York Islanders, Columbus, Nashville, Florida. Two teams left on that list.

And apparently the Dallas Stars are interested in Spezza now. Anaheim, Dallas and St. Louis are very interested.

Comment

Originally posted by matchesmalone View Post

OK, a few things.

I don't see any possible way Dale Talon moves the first overall pick for Spezza. Why trade a likely future superstar, who is just 18, for a borderline elite now 30 year-old? And Tallon, of all people, who picked Kane first overall and Toews third overall, knows just how valuable those first couple picks are.

Also, I wouldn't take Nylander with the first pick. His talent-level and potential are enormous. There's a chance this kid could be the next Peter Forsberg. But how much of a chance? That's a lot harder to say. Bennett, Draisaitl, Ekblad and Reinhart are all safer picks with some elite potential. Bennett is a lock to play in the NHL, but whether it will be as a Martin Lapointe or a Pat Verbeek, I'm not sure. I've seen Draisaitl play a lot, and I would very seriously consider picking him first overall. He reminds me of Matt Duchene, but I've heard a few comparisons to Anze Kopitar. The Kopitar one seemed strange, considering he's not as tall as Kopitar, but after watching a bunch more L.A. games this spring, I can definitely see it. Ekblad looks like the next Brent Seabrook, but teams are so hesitant to pick defensemen first overall these days, and rightfully so. This is why I think Sam Reinhart will end up going first overall. The big edge he has, is that like all of the very best forwards in the NHL today - Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Getzlaf - he is going to be a great defensive forward, on top of being elite offensively. Remember who Team Canada had out as the lone forward on 3 on 5s at the WJCs last year, and at just 17.

As for Lazar, I would argue that he did dominate. I think a lot of people who didn't follow the Oil Kings this year don't realize that Lazar and Samuelsson were almost always used on separate lines in order to spread the offense. And it worked. Lazar's line was used largely in a defensive role, and yet he still was third in the league in +/- when he left for the World Juniors. And his point totals jumped from 61 in 72 games to 76 in 58, which projects to 94 points over a full 72-game season. And most of that time missed was for World Juniors, where at just 18, he was already arguably Canada's best player. His playoff scoring doesn't look so impressive at first glance, but a lot of his goals were big goals at key times in big games. His shorthanded go-ahead goal in game seven against Portland, his triple overtime winner in the Mem Cup semi-final, and during the regular season he was just ninth in the league in goals, but third in game winning goals; kid has clutch written all over him.

The big question is, should Lazar play in the NHL next year? For me, the answer would be no, unless he absolutely astonishes at camp and steals a spot. The big thing Lazar needs to work on right now is size and strength. After just winning a Memorial Cup, and having gone through three straight years of full four rounds of WHL playoffs, he's never had and again this year won't have a full summer to rejuvenate from the long season and spend a lot of time in the gym. As long as they still have Lazar and Jarry, Edmonton will be a very good team next year, but losing Samuelsson and Griffin Reinhart should ensure they won't be in the Mem Cup again, which would give him a full summer of bulking up next year. So I'd say let him go back to Edmonton, become captain there and he'll also captain Canada's World Junior team (that's not a prediction, by the way, but a guarantee), let him have a year as the sole major offensive weapon; it will be a great chance for him to round out his game by working at adding the one aspect to his offensive game that he takes a lot of criticism for lacking - the ability to make those around him better. He already showed hints of it this year, with two of his regular linemates over-performing: Mitch Moroz, who's never been more than a mucker and grinder, managed 35 goals, and an enormous breakout from his most regular linemate, 18 year old Brett Pollock, who jumped from 4 points in 40 games to 55 in 71.
                    Yikes on Nylander : Forsberg comparison. That's embarrassing. Good call on Draisaitl for first overall. And Ekblad : Seabrook, not such a terrible comparison. Way off stylistically, but maybe not so much as a far as upside and value. If only the Sens had listened to me and sent Lazar back to junior, he'd be a star in the NHL right now.😏

Comment

Working...
                    X