Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble in paradise for Big Joe?

Originally posted by Matt the Aussie
    On your last point, I hear Greening is available...
    Joe Thornton won Cheechoo a Rocket Richard. He could do it for Greening too

Comment

Originally posted by thedaigle1
      I'm gonna go ahead and side with Jumbo Joe on this one. And I know that I'm biased cos I've been following the Sharks as long as I've been following hockey and I'm a Thornton fan. Nonetheless, players say stupid things cos they're players and that's what they do. The GM should be held far more accountable for airing team laundry publicly. I never want to say "fire the coach and GM cos everything is their fault" and I know that to say so is the easy way out. But in this case, McClelland and Wilson need to go. This team has some seriously elite offensive talent and a lot of promising young players coming up. Wilson had completely failed to manage his assets and McClelland has failed to implement them (see Brent Burns). There are a lot of GMs who look at this team and salivate at the options they have with so much available talent. Wilson has completely failed to bring in support players to round out the roster. John Scott is a full time player with this team, seriously?! The Sharks are only a few pieces away from being really good and they have the money to go out and get those pieces. I pray that their ten-season playoff streak ends and the owner does the right thing by bringing in some new minds to get this thing right.

-Figure out who your franchise goalie is
      -Bring back Matt Irwin and snag a D in free agency (there are plenty of good ones this year) so that Burns can move back up to the wing
      -Round out your bottom six with guys not named John Scott
      Great post. You're absolutely right too, the Sharks are a great example of a team who should be serious contenders every season..

Comment

In order for some team to be willing to give up the king's randsom it would require to acquire Thornton, and for hom to be willing to waive his no-trade, it would have to be to a good team that thinks it's a big center away from being a contender.

Toronto makes some sense, since they need a top center and will be looking to accelerate this rebuild, but would Thornton waive to go there? Doubtful. If he did Kadri seems like the obvious piece going the other way. Minnesota and Nashville make sense, but I'm not sure Wilson would trade him within the West.

Montreal could make sense if they decide that Galchenyuk is ultimately a winger at the NHL level. Otherwise, next year is his fourth season, if he's going to learn to be an elite center he needs to play there regularly by next year.

New York Rangers are always in on big-name big-money players like this, and while they have at least two good cenrers, a big guy like Thornton could help them against Western powerhouses if they're expecting to make the finals again. And we know Nash and Thornton have chemistry from playing together in Davos during the lockouts. And Thornton would be reunited with Dan Boyle on the PP.

I'm sure Philly would be interested, but they just don't have the depth of prospects and trade assets to pull off a trade like this, compared to New York or Nashville.

Comment

The Rangers are reportedly the only team Thornton would waive for and Sather wasn't willing to pay the steep asking price.

Comment

I wonder what the return would be. Wilson would want Kreider. No way Sather will budge on Kreider. The package would have to include at least one or two
            of J.T. Miller, Kevin Hayes, Brady Skjei and Brandon Halverson, as well as likely a first round pick.

Comment

I don't think Kreider would be the main piece; it would be around Brassard or Stepan.

Comment

Do the Rangers even need to make this trade though? They're already the best team in the league so why submit to another team's demands. San Jose is not in a position of power here cos they're the ones trying to move an NTC.

Comment

Do the Rangers even need to make this trade though? They're already the best team in the league so why submit to another team's demands. San Jose is not in a position of power here cos they're the ones trying to move an NTC.
                  They definitely don't need to. But they might think he could push them over the top next season depending on how they fare (maybe more specifically, how Brassard and Stepan fare) in the Playoffs.

Comment

There will be a few trigger-happy GMs from teams who get bumped in the first round and that could open up a potential market. The Rangers would still be the frontrunner in that case.

Any thoughts on Shero/Bylsma reunion in San Jose? Is that a total coke dream?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                      They definitely don't need to. But they might think he could push them over the top next season depending on how they fare (maybe more specifically, how Brassard and Stepan fare) in the Playoffs.
                      C'mon Josh, we're talking about the Rangers here...what does "need" matter?

Comment

Trouble in paradise for Big Joe?

Yeah that's a good point. Is he a bigger name than the guy they'd trade for him? Rangers do the deal.

Comment

Working...
                        X